Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On 04/21/2017 9:50 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

Well, I did it on the two matching barn doors, so she's not totally correct there! :)

Altho they're painted and it was more for convenience rather than actually grain-matching, but needn't tell anybody...

Reply to
dpb

In some circles its called Shabby Chique. I call it Crappy Crud.

My current house (been here since 2005 now) had been on the market for a while because of this shit. I took the stupid rolling barn door off the pantry and sold it at a yard sale. Boom gone. The inane corrugated metal they had covering lot of the walls came down even quicker. I only bought it because I could see there really was a house behind their pile of refuse.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There is no accounting for taste. Your taste or theirs.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That was funny! :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Do these doors work independently or together?

Reply to
swalker

Typically doors that work together have cables that tun through pulleys. I do not see any of that going on.

Reply to
Leon

Independent.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've been through a bunch of major quakes, one where the highway was separated a solid blocks distance sideways. The last large one which was the Northridge and Santa Monica one which were only a few sections apart. The two earthquakes kept trades people of all types busy for several years on things related to the earthquakes.

The big one is over 100 years overdue, and the pressure is increasing and visible out in the desert and some other places, some there is rising, rising and some widening., plus there is one slightly off the coastline here. That is extensive. I can't remember all the details since I don't worry about such things other than to have generators, food and the ability to store water on short notice.

Bad thing about generators are having lights on when no one else does. You stick out like a sore thumb. The majority of the solar systems sold here are not to store power but feed excess into the electric company to roll back your meter.

Whatever the happenstance, it is all bad for someone, or many. And in today's world a riot can be just as destructive as anything nature throws at us.

Reply to
OFWW

I haven't lived through floods, like in Texas and elsewhere. And I hope never to. I can remember flying over the middle of the USA after the giant flooding in the midwest and seeing mile after mile after mile flooded no matter where you looked. I think it was in the middle

70's. Then seeing the recent floods in Texas and the south. Shudder the thought, especially for the old folks, or the invalid.

When you stop and consider, none of it has a personal upside, except for the work generated out of it. I was glad to hear of laws against unreasonable profiting from such situations.

Only if you carry the pertinent insurance addon's. Even so they try to cut their losses.

The bulk of damage is on initial impact, the aftershock just enhance the previous damage and make it more visible, as a rule.

From what I understand, out west we are in a better place in spite of the Pacific Rim crap, as we have a rock based land, whereas in the midwest they don't and so the shockwave's carry far.

I just hope whatever happens Texas survives it all. I consider it my safety net when the USA falls apart and the Republic of Texas arises. :) My escape place.

Reply to
OFWW

Actually the damage to LA was great. the Northridge/SM earthquake damage was wide spread. Houses shaken off their foundations, buildings cracked, just to name a few. As far as downtown proper then the Burbank earthquake did more.

As to where the fault flows, yes, I know, but the damage to those near the fault can be extensive. Given all the water there I can see a lot of damage from it as well as all the old bldgs in Berkeley. But I am talking worst case scenario, not the stuff less than 7.2

I wish I could remember, but I don't, I do remember them speaking of an earthquake possibility extending from LB to near Seattle not too many months ago. I wouldn't have paid it much attention other than for the fact is spoke of being near to Roseburg. A beautiful place we are considering in out future plans. It made me wonder if there is any "safe place".

In your area.

Reply to
OFWW

But it doesn't take _years_ for an area to recover from a tornado.

Reply to
krw

;!) Yeah, Texas offers most everything.

Reply to
Leon

SWMBO was born in Texas and says that when Texas secedes, she'll claim her natural born citizenship rights. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news:8-Sdne5H7a00T2fFnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Do you guys have big corn fields in Texas? I think I'd miss them.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yessir. Only about 3 MILLION acres of it!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There's some, but nothing approaching corn belt...

Planted acres Harvested acres Grain Production

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote in news:odgdvr$th4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I've lived in dark green areas (from the first map) most my life. Seeing corn is as normal as seeing cows between my aunt and grandma's house.

The great thing about those dark green areas is that the entire world begins anew every 3-4 months. Planting: the corn starts turning the brown/black soil to a bushy green. Growing: The roads turn into a kind of tunnel. Harvest: neat nooks and crannies develop. Winter: You can see for miles and miles.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 04/23/2017 12:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

We're one of those in the tier in the SW corner KS...it's almost all irrigated, though, so isn't planted full up to the sides of the roads continuously as is in IA, say. Corners are dedicated to dryland wheat or sometimes milo or often enrolled in CRP grass. So, it's not closed in out here; we can see horizon 20+ mi away virtually all the time unless you're out in it directly.

The high-production areas on the map in TX panhandle are similar as well...the south TX stuff along the Rio Grand up from the Gulf above Brownsville is a lot of sweet corn including maternal grandparents old place that uncle/cousins have now...it's much smaller scale/different style farming down there...truck farming, citrus, etc., than commodity grain production...

Reply to
dpb

Not when compared with 1906. And that's because of lessons learned from Long Beach and Sylmar. From a cost basis, it cost less than Katrina. Yes, it caused damage, for the most part relatively minor, and the bulk of which affected soft-story apartment buildings in the valley.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

All will depend on precise location and intensity...1906 was roughly

7.7-7.9 only 2 mi off coast of SF; 1989 was 6.9 (10X less energy) and roughly 50-60 mi S.

In contrast, New Madrid 1811 comprised of a ~7.7 followed by a 7.4 "aftershock" only 6 hours later the same day and another ~7.4 roughly 5 weeks after. At that time the area was pretty-much still undeveloped so not a lot of structural damage. Created what is now Reelfoot Lake; eyewitness accounts say south of the location the Mississippi R ran backwards for several minutes while the new depression created filled...

Reply to
dpb