Barn door

Need to replace an 11'3" wide 9' tall barn door. It's the type that hangs from the top on a track with two rollers. The door that's there is made of tongue and groove siding with some horizontal 5/4" lumber to keep it together.

Could really use some ideas for a new door. Was going to try to find some

12' sheet siding but I can't. I did find new tongue and groove, but it's not very good quality.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Big Al

Actually, if it's a real barn and even reasonably old, that's what I'd suggest. If you'd like, e-mail and I'll send some pictures of the restored/rebuilt doors for the barn here. They're 3-1/2" T&G w/ 6/4 framing and a crossbuck (both surface mount on the front side). The originals (and the one new one I've built) have a 45-deg chamfer on the mid-sections of these that really dresses them up. They're heavy, but a great look for a barn.

You shouldn't have any real trouble finding good T&G from a real lumber yard.

Reply to
dpb

If the door is more to keep the rain out than provide security I would weld up a steel frame out of square tube and cover it with a lightweight roofing metal.

It makes a fairly substantial door and keeps the weight down a bit .

Reply to
marks542004

not

Thought of making a frame out of steel tubing. Just don't think I can keep it square and straight.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If a metal door would suffice, make a frame out of 2x4's and 2x6's. Lay them flat and use those hammer on plates made for trusses. Or you can buy a metal edge that goes on the 2 sides of the door at Menards and probably other places. Those are channel type metal, you just run some 2x6s horizontally and drill/screw to those metal channels. That is the easiest way. Then buy some ribbed steel siding such as Pro-Rib, and screw them to the frame using the approved neoprene washer screws. Apply rollers and handles and find a few friends to lift it on the track. Be sure to put stops on ends of tracks or you will undoubetly roll it off the end.

If you post a real email addy I can send you a picture of my door made just that way.

One sheet of steel covers 3 feet, so you will need 4 of them, and must get 10 footers. Figure $2 a lineal foot, or $80 for the four 10ft sheets. Plus boards, screws, nails, and those metal strips for the edges. I'd put a J-channel on the top too.

I just built my door and it was pretty easy.

Check out this site for the steel sheets (many colors). This brand is sold at Menards.

Click on products / applications / color charts

No, I dont work for them, I just been using a lot of their products this year while building a new barn, and I have been pleased with their products. If you email them, they are quick to reply and helpful too.

I'm a retired farmer these days. I started to farm after I retired.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff