Festool OF-1010 Router Dust port

For those who don't have Festools, the dust port on the OF-1010 router is oval and doesn't fit the hoses very well. The round 27mm hose end has to be forced around the oval port.

For those who do, I found this adapter. It works really well.

I'm surprised Festool doesn't sell it. The price is about right.

Reply to
krw

Cool!

Have you seen the Rockler adapter?

But probably has to be used with the Rockler hoses. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

I bought one just before I found this. It needs and adapter for the adapter. It's not really useful. The Rockler hose would need an adapter at the other end too. I probably would have tried to make it work but I saw the above first. It's a much cleaner solution.

Reply to
krw

One has to wonder why there are oval ports.

Reply to
Leon

I looked at the Rockler end again, just to remind myself why I didn't think it was a good solution. The OD(*) of the Vac end of the adapter is the same as the OD (circumvented since it's an oval) of the Festool

27mm hose end. It would take a F-F coupler to mate the two. It could be a small piece of the Rockler hose but the whole thing getting pretty long at this point. I thought it would be awkward, at least,

(*) It's hard to tell, exactly, since it's threaded, intended to thread into their hose. THis meant that the ID of the Rockler hose may not fit exactly on the 27mm hose. More kludging may be necessary.

I think it's an oval port to clear the workpiece better. The dust port is pretty low on the router base. I suppose they could have made the base thicker but that has its own problems.

Reply to
krw

Maybe Festool had a summer intern mechanical engineer doing the design and their focus was on the fluid mechanics equations. There are no factors in fluid mechanics for "is this practical".

Reply to
Bob D

Yeah! What you said. ;~) I have to think no room for a round port on the base unless they made it much smaller.

Reply to
Leon

I looked again too, at your original. I bet the round Festool hose is suppose to leak around that oval port on the router base. That way the dust that escapes the out side of the router gets sucked in by the leaking hose connection. ,~) Or not.

Reply to
Leon

That sounds reasonable. The dust port on the body of DW411 sander is a very thin slot. To convert that to a round hose connection port would take a pretty big "circle".

This is the DW411, with no built in port for a hose.

They must have gotten some feedback because the newer models convert that slot to a round port via a modification to the body of the tool. Seems like Festool could do this if they wanted to:

DerbyDad03

The dust port is very high. On a router there is a large space between the motor and the cutting edge.

The larger OF-1400 router has a hood that snaps over/around the bit to do the same thing. It's really a PIA because it's always falling out.

krw

My Rocky 30 trim router has a snap on DC hood also. Works ok, but the hose makes a light weight trim router kinda bulky.

On the other hand, Oneida (of Dust Deputy fame) makes a universal router base with a DC port. The port swivels within the router's opening.

The DC port has a integrated "cup" that encloses the bit and directs all the dust to the port. My finger is touching the cup and the port can be seen on the left.

DerbyDad03

That's one of the down sides of any of this. It's a lot better than breathing the stuff though.

It doesn't seem like it's very easy to see the bit.

That looks like a really good idea but it still looks like there is a lot in the way of the bit.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't look like it's any worse than the Festool picture you posted.

Maybe I'm missing what you mean.

Reply to
DerbyDad03