Festool KS-120 Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Are these available in the USA yet? Anyone know? I can't find any with Google.

woodstuff

Robatoy

millimeters.

Reply to
HeyBub

| I don't think they'll work in the US - all the measurements are in | millimeters. | But I am mostly interested in cutting in degrees... If the arbor is the right size, it would be ok... maybe.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

thought Festool tools were sold at list price only. No discounting to them. Maybe its different in England. Assuming the 669 Pounds plus VAT translates directly to USA Dollars, that is about $1,338 USA Dollars, ommitting VAT. $1,338 for a sliding miter saw. That is getting up there. Or $1,672 USA Dollars if you pay the stated list price.

I can argue the Domino price is sort of reasonable since it does something unique and to me has definite speed and function capabilities. But a sliding miter saw that costs 3 times as much as my Makita 10" dual bevel slider LS1013? To do the same tasks?

Reply to
russellseaton1

Besides, my LS1013 is already paid for and I am blindly familiar with it..but...but...but....when you look at that Festool, it makes you wonder why TF, everybody always stuck the slider rails way out the back? My hunch is that it uses the same blades as their plunge saws. My Meganite distributor swears by those blades, he figures that's enough reason to own a Festool saw.

I like the idea of twin lasers.

But for close to $ 2000.00 Canuckistani sheckels.. donnnn't think soooo. As you already stated...it is only a mitre saw... nothing innovative.

Reply to
Robatoy

You can add laser guides to almost any miter saw. I put one on mine. Adding another might be fun.

I see they have free delivery. Does that sweeten the deal?

Reply to
HeyBub

Did not notice the positioning of the rails at first glance. That does make it more compact in use. I wonder if you would bump your head/eye into the rails when leaning forward to position the blade right on the pencil mark on the board?

260mm diameter blades, 30mm bore. I suppose you could get a filler ring/washer to go in the 30mm bore and have the opening fit your 5/8" or 1" spindle on a USA designed miter saw. I would agree that the blade is awfully important for any woodworking task no matter whether the tool surrounding the blade is high or low quality.

Porter Cable has the twin laser on a miter saw. 3802L 12" miter saw.

Yes. This was brought up in another thread on Festool. Their price can be justified for the tools where they add something innovative that cannot be accomplished by other tools. The circular saw and guide rail and the new Domino and that really short drill with interchangeable chucks fit that category. Maybe a few of their other tools too. But a 10" sliding miter saw, hard to argue that one.

russellseaton1

Laser switch on my 10" dual-laser PC died. That was the replacement saw for a PC which also had a bad switch. Cheap job site saw. Not really worth fixing. I'd put in a toggle switch instead of a momentary switch like the factory unit. For now, I pulled the old switch and "replaced" it with a piece of duct tape. Lasers themselves get clogged with dust very quickly. Keep a box of Q-Tips handy. The twin laser is a nice set of training wheels, but you'll soon learn how to work just as accurately without it once it fails the second time.

Reply to
Father Haskell