European Beech turning blank source?

Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.) 2"x2". Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a source. Anyone have a suggestion?

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Does it absolutely have to be European beech, or is American beech adequate?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Presumably this is more than 'a couple of lengths' you're looking for?

Over here (I'm in the UK) Beech is quite a cheap hardwood - small stuff like you're asking about is commonly used for things like wooden spoons, rolling pins etc. Beech tables/chairs are one step up from solid pine, which is one step up from veneered MDF.

How much you want could make quite a difference to the options - if you want a full container load then I expect it could become worth your while shipping it...

Can you say what properties you want from it so the USians can suggest suitable native woods, or does it have to match something existing?

It is very nice to work with BTW - but is useless in damp conditions.

Reply to
PCPaul

Try rec.crafts.woodturning.

Reply to
scritch

Also the bugs love it, if you're making furniture.

It's fairly common to find "oak" furniture from between the wars made with an oak face frame at the front, and cheaper beech for the casework behind. Pick an old piece of that up, give it a good shake and sometimes you can be left holding two front legs and a couple of drawer fronts, the beech parts falling into a pile of frass!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorry I didn;t specify quantity, it's a small amount. And the specs call for european beech specifically, american beech can't be substituted.

Reply to
Jeff

I think I'd go back to the person who wrote the specs and ask why it's important that the project use European beech. American beech is nearly identical in appearance and physical properties, and I believe it would take an expert to tell them apart. (Please note that I am not suggesting that you should substitute American beech and tell your customer you used European beech, but rather, that if the customer approves the use of American beech, nobody *else* will ever know.)

Reply to
Doug Miller