Elephant Bandsaw

Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed it up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

Reply to
Bill Hall

One of the earliest 14" clones. Only one I ever saw was down for parts, but I was not impressed. The finish was so poor , and that included some blue-painted mold sand in places, that it was contraindicated for people with clotting disorders.

Woodworkers Warehouse sold it, as far as I know.

Reply to
George

I bought the Rigid BS1400 last year.. basic 3/4 hp 14" saw...

I was told (in this ng) that it was made my Elephant (though I think the spelling might have differed?) as was the Grizzly...

I opted for the Griz riser kit as it was less expensive, and it fit fine..

For the $350 I paid for it, it seems to do everything that I need... tracks well, lines up and seems to stay in alignment, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

IIRC, an elephant logo is the trademark of Rexon, which is one of the big Taiwan manufacturers of machinery sold under many brand names. I suspect the "Elephant" brand is some long-gone vendor's private label. Or maybe the seller was just calling it "Elephant" because of the logo.

In any case, it's got to be some variant on the ubiquitous, generic, import 14" saw. Depending on condition, $150 *might* have been an OK deal, but don't kick yourself for passing on it. For comparison, you can get the equivalent machine brand new from Harbor Freight for $260 on sale. Dig up a 20% coupon, and that gets down to $208.

Bill Hall wrote:

Reply to
kkfitzge

Thanks to all for the replies on the "Elephant" :>). Was a little fearful of the unknown! Guess I will look into the HF model. A Storefront close by here in Plano (TX). Now try to look into the 20% coupon. New one on me.

Reply to
Bill Hall

Why the heck would you want to resaw an elephant????

really confused,

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

Because you didn't saw it right the first time?