electric work truck

On 8/3/17 9:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So what?
--

-MIKE-

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 10:53:18 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote :

Including the Bollinger, no?
EC has cast his line and caught another bait bucket FULL of guppies.
Reading page after page on this vehicle, the only reference I saw to it bei ng a work truck is by EC and some here debating that fact.
Because it can carry wood doesn't make it a work truck. Where would you pu t a tool box? A headache rack? Service bins?
So the prototype can carry something 4x8, or certain sizes of 2x4. So what ? They could have said it could carry ice chests and some here would have called it an ice delivery truck or even an ice cream truck. Maybe even an ice chest delivery truck.
A wheelbarrow can carry a person (in some cases, 2)in it, so does that make it suitable for use as a taxi?
NO WHERE was I able to find any reference to this being a work truck from i ts designers. So I am guessing that I am the only one that took interest i n this rich person's off road toy enough to read anything about it, and as much as he is derided here, you guys took EC's premise as truth.
It is an off road recreation vehicle, stated over and over in the press rel eases and statements from the company and quoted in many, many interviews. Worse, the stupidity of considering this little teeny runabout a work truc k could have been easily avoided if they had simply looked at the page EC p osted and followed any of the dozen or so links to different publications. It's all there.
********* From a Q and A of Bollinger's Jeff Hollander:
Who’s the target buyer?
“Because it will have class-leading off-roading credentials, we thi nk that the vehicle will be well suited for outdoor enthusiasts as well as various government agencies with clean-fleet initiatives,” said chi ef marketer and spokesman Jeff Holland."
*********
Now it has turned into slug fest over battery powered vehicles and the poli tics behind them.
If there was only this much interest in woodworking here.
Come on guys. Now is the time to bring up the evil of the government consp iracy against electric cars, the government conspiracy for electric cars an d of course, Al Gore. Work in the American Military/Industrial complex and their agenda, as well as the fact that people that disagree with your "fin dings" (Hello, Google!!) are idiots and shouldn't be breathing your air. Y ou guys need to get with it. There are a lot more facets you can bring to a thread that was started <<<on a completely false premise>>>. I want to se e some real ass ripping over this... don't let this thread run out of bile.
Nicely done, EC!
Robert
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 01:05:35 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

So far the Bollinger does not exist as a product, and as a company is just a way of raising funds. As a vehicle it is no more commercially available than the Energex R&D ElectrMobile coupe built in Waterloo Region back in 1978 - and it was totally privately funded.
On 8/2/2017 1:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Plug in hybrid? I don't think they are as bad as the pure electrics. Smaller battery and capturing power from braking.
The biggest joke foisted off on the public was the Chevy Volt with a 24 mile range. You pay a premium for the car and it is only useful for short trips.
I'm curious how well the climate control works in both 0 degrees and 100 degrees. My car will be a comfy 72 degrees but to do that with battery power is going to suck a lot of miles from the total range. Typical car AC is 30,000 BTU and that sucks a lot of power. So does electric heat.
The acceleration of the electrics looks like fun though.

What, you think that pure electrics don't have regen braking?

That's Ford's models, the Volt has more like 50 mile range. My Ford has 21 mile range. It's 13 miles to work and my employer provides preferred parking with company-paid chargers to people who drive electrics and hybrids. So it works fine for me. Most of my driving is the daily commute and it's usually all-electric.
The person two up the chain of command from me drives a Volt. She's an actuary, I'm pretty sure she knows how to crunch the numbers on practicality. She also lives farther from work than I do. Of course the CEO drives a Tesla.

The AC seems to use less power than the heat. In the winter I typically run out of battery just as I'm pulling into the parking lot in the morning. In the summer I typically have about 6 miles left when I get home.

All around my hybrid is quite pleasant.
On 8/3/2017 7:59 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Seems that some electric drivers thing they are special and should get free fuel. Pay a premium for your car and you can join our elitist club and get special parking. I'd be afraid the masses of gas drivers would throw stones at my car parked there.

I'd like to see the numbers if she is justifying it on fuel cost savings. Many greenies don't care about money as much as saving a tree.
The Tesla is a cool car and yes, if I had an extra 100k I'd get one. No justification needed other than I want one. I'd still need a second car for longer trips though, the range is good but not so easy for a 600 mile day. Or staying at hotels with no chargers.

I don't see how Clarke's statement supports your assertion.
A company may actually disagree with your position on energy and climate and choose to offer their employees a benefit that supports their position on energy and climate. Is that illegal or immoral in your view?

Really? Why would you be afraid of that?

Ah, pejorative noted.

As time passes, range anxiety will become less of an issue. However, one can always rent a car for the weekend/long trips - for much less cost than keeping a second one around.
And clearly, there are differences for folks that live in rural settings vs. those who live in dense urban environments - there's no one-size-fits all solution to transportation, energy supplies or the environment.
On 8/3/2017 11:49 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Nor did I say that. It is what I've heard in conversation about electric cars and subsidies. Just a comment from my observations over time. Want names?

Did not say that did I? Any time a corporation gives privileges to some and not others there is potential for bad blood.

The haves versus the have nots. Human instincts can kick in. M company paid for all of my gas. I never told anyone else as it was none of their business.

Good. I would not want you to miss it. A lot of people are willing to pay a premium to be green. That is their decision. Ask Al Gore.

IMO, electrics are just an interim anyway. It will be 10, 25, maybe 40 years before an alternate is invented and made practical. Meantime, I don't think taxpayer dollars should subsidize the purchase of a new car. I also wonder where all those batteries will be 40 years from now.

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA679.html
o The past year, Gore's home energy use averaged 19,241 kilowatt hours (kWh) every month, compared to the U.S. household average of 901 kWh per month. o Gore guzzles more electricity in one year than the average American family uses in 21 years. o In September of 2016, Gore's home consumed 30,993 kWh in just one month - as much energy as a typical American family burns in 34 months. o During the last 12 months, Gore devoured 66,159 kWh of electricity just heating his pool. That is enough energy to power six average U.S. households for a year. o From August 2016 through July 2017, Gore spent almost $22,000 on electricity bills. o Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to install 33 solar panels. Those solar panels produce an average of 1,092 kWh per month, only 5.7% of Gore's typical monthly energy consumption.
On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 18:35:34 +0000, Spalted Walt

That's because Gore isn't anything close to being green (with anything but envy) and is a typical politician. (I won't label him either left or right, conservative or liberal, democrat or republican, because he is most likely neither, in either case.
On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 15:49:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Possibly because that's what he would do???

About 90% of my driving needs could be met with current all-electric vehicles. The other 10% would be satisfied by a plug-in hybryd, or even a simple hybrid, or a car like the Volt with the range extender engine. SWince I've virtually always had 2 vehicles (or more) my gasoline truck could handle anything the electric couldn't - and renting short term when I want something more comfortable than the truck or need to take passengers is very affordable.
Unloke MOST of those complaining about electric cars, I have actually owned and driven (and built) one.
On 8/3/2017 2:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Why would I do that? I've had free gas from three employers since 1978 so I have nothing to be jealous of.
I thought you could come up with better comments than that.

Many are just obnoxious assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPZskYKUvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
gzjsDE8X0

Many _anything_, including conservatives and liberals, are obnoxious assholes. It's endemic in the human condition. That doesn't justify blanket labels.
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Precisely why I didn't say *All* are obnoxious assholes.
On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 18:08:14 +0000, Spalted Walt

Are you green?
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No, just a privileged Caucasian.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/137/117/41b.jpg

Anybody who throws stones has to get over a ten foot high fence and past the security patrols. And if they're an employee they won't be one much longer--there is full video surveillance and the company does not tolerate vandalism by its employees.

It's not just fuel cost. Plug-in hybrids are very low maintenance. When I got mine, used, I changed all the fluids and filters on the general principle that I didn't know with certainty what maintenance had been performed by the previous owner. That done, the next maintenance item is going to be an oil change some time in 2019.
There's also a comfort factor. In a hybrid the loudest noise you hear is typically tires on the road. And in the winter heat is instant--no waiting for the engine to warm up.
And then there's coming out to the car on a hot or cold day and finding that it has run the heater or air conditioner for the past half hour and was nicely comfortable.

I don't think that's an issue for the CEO. We have two big Sikorskis hangared on the property and a jet at the airport.
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 08:08:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Seems like your employer expects such problems. It must be a great place to work.

No, they care about showing everyone else how much they care (about something).

The oil system is sealed?

...and you're worried about noise. <giggle>
On 8/3/2017 8:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you don't mind waiting in a looooong line of people in front of you the latest Tesla appears to be quite inexpensive compared to the first models. $30k range.