Dust Collection Question

Hi All, I'm setting up shop fo the first time, and want a Dust Collection set up, have used "shop-vac" in the past with fair success, how ever adding new equipment, some with 4" ports, am looking at 1-1/2 hp DC as shop area has 125 volt service, one of my concerns is staic electricity build up in pvc or polyethylene duct hose, the shop area is small about 80 sqft. and DC will be located out side of shop, thinking of useing a trash barrel fitted with one of those cyclone separator lids before the DC, any sugestions??

Cheers, Thomas Cleveland

Reply to
THOMAS CLEVELAND

Hi Thomas, I for many years did with out dust collection except for the shop vac attached to the router table. But then I have added equipment that required a dust collector so that I could breath.

Anyway I went with the Jet 1100 and canister filter. I have no fixed ducts at all. I use 2, 10 foot 4" clear flex hoses attached to make a long 20' hose. Because my shop is a bit larger than yours, about 300 sq feet I keep my 10 stationary machines on mobile bases and move them when I want to use them. The portable hose works well with all the movement that I have going on.

I am not saying this is the best set up however it is another avenue to consider. It is very economical and flexable.

The clear flex hose has a wire reinforcement and is self grounding through the run. I simply attached a bare end of each hose wire to the next hose wire and finally grounded to the collector.

Reply to
Leon

I got a 1.5hp with a separator about a year ago and really regret it. The separator works well, taking 95% of the debris, but causes a significant air movement drop. The filter clogs with the fines and is difficult to clean. (there is a brush inside, but it just gets the surface without cleaning the pleats.)

I am going to replace it all with a cyclone, which doesn't have these problems. I wish I had done it properly the first time.

But, if you are in upstate NY, I take back everything I just said. Want to buy a nearly new 1.5hp DC with a separator?

Occasionally there is a little static on the hose, but nothing that requires fixing.

Reply to
Bewildered

Bigger is better!

I had a 1 1/2 HP that was satisfactory for the table saw, router, and clean up. For the old 12 1/2" planer, jointer, bandsaw, radial arm saw and new

16" planer it was inadequate. I got the Jet and it comes wired for 110. Can be changed to 220. It was worth the $$.

Jim

Reply to
Woodhead

Perhaps it was the filter that limited your 1.5 hp collector but Mine is 1.5 hp/1100 cfm and it swallows my BS during resaw operations, and my 15" planer with nothing escaping.

Reply to
Leon

If this is any help for you, Bewildered, I saw a 'shop suggestion' in a recent Shop Notes magazine for helping to clean your cartridge filter after using the attached brush. Place a vibrating sander, without the abrasive paper and with and additional pad to protect the sander's pad, on top of the cartridge at serveral locations to help to shake Also, hout the fines. Worth a try. Having read a good many posts on various sites about separators it has been posted more than once that the separator isn't specifically to stop the majority of the sawdust from reaching the bag. In fact, if the DC is working properly the separator will be nearly purged of sawdust leaving only large pieces or heavier bunches of shavings. My cheap Harbor Freight does just this and I thought it defective until otherwise advised. Post around or search BT3central.com forums and others a possible correction of your DC's poor flow. Also worth a try.

Reply to
C & E