dust collection not working

OK, I do not have money to invest in a real DC system, so am using a large shop vac. Has worked fine to date, dedicated to one machine at a time.

Just build NICE router table with baffled dust collection system, author claims it collects dust real well. Cabinet runs DC piping from back into cabinet section where router is located. So it is not a design where the DC piping comes up underneath the router (a better design in my opion). Can't change it as area below router cabinet section is used for drawers.

Well, IF I am not trying to use dc for the fence and cabinet at same time, collection is "poor". If I DO try to use DC for fence and cabinet at same time, DC is minimal.

Question: Is it cabinet design, or the fact that a vac does not have the HP needed to really move the dust? I am using 2.5" piping and accessories from Rockler, so that can't be the problem. Have checked for air leaks - none found.

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Shop vacs do not move enough air to be real effective dust collectors. Most shop vacs move around 100 CFM or so, where a dust collector may move 1000 CFM or more. I use a dust collector on my router table. Connected below the table it removes a fair amount of dust, but quite a bit is still blowing freely above the table. I plan on adding a collection point on the fence too. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Bingo, we have a winner! Actually, more of a CFM/velocity thing rather than HP. See the thread about flexible tubing for a DC for some good explanations of how it all works with proper hose sizing, etc.

Yes, that is the problem. 2.5" plus 2.5" is too much. Use the DC/Vac on the fence and a dust pan inside the cabinet until you can get a real DC. Shop vacs are great for small areas, but it will not move enough air to handle the double ports that you have. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski