Drying Wood - suggestions?

I plan to purchase several board feet of white oak from a local tree/milling person. The logs have been down for a while(?) I am not sure how long... I need to dry the lumber before working with it. My question is; can I "stick" the lumber and store it in the basement/shop - and will it dry? This is my first time doing this...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Ragan

On 4/3/2006 7:43 PM Michael Ragan mumbled something about the following:

Yes, it will dry, but be careful of drying oak too fast as it will create checking. It would be better to sticker it outside under a cover/shed until it reaches about 12-15% MC before bringing it into a low humidity environment. Do a google search on air drying lumber and you will find all kinds of info.

Reply to
Odinn

It's all relative - humidity, that is. If the wood's been out frozen all winter, won't be very dry because the RH is high. If your house is heated, RH will be low. Bad to move the wood in too early.

If, on the other hand, the wood's been out more than three months in above-freezing weather, and you about fifty percent, good to stack.

Might save yourself time by going directly to

and doing your search on air drying.

Reply to
George