Drum sanders any good?

The JET has "Sandsmart," if you believe WMH rather than the replies.

George

How long did it take him to remove the cross grain scratches?

I can buy imported furniture with doors sanded as units, then I won't need a sander at all.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My guess is that he didn't bother.

The final drum is at least 150 grit, maybe finer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I look at premade cabinets, I see an awful lot of them where they should have bothered.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I bought and eventually sold a 16\32 Ryobi. It was OK. The main hed adjustment screws were a bit inconsistent. The design in general is a bit problematic because you are always lowering the head with each pass but for a real accurate offset it should be raisng (against gravity). Inexplicably my unit would work fine with a 1/4 turn drop on each pass and then suddenly a 1/4 turn would drop the head so far it would gouge the material and killed the unit. It would take 6 or 8 more passes to sand out the gouge. I eventually found that I'd drop it a full turn and then back up 3/4 and it seemed to fix the issue.

I also heard the Ryobi was sued into submission by Performax and had to stop production because of infringement. The units look almost identical, right down to the belt tracking adjustment mechanism.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Except the Performax adjust properly.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Hmmm...I haven't had the head drop on me at all...I'll keep an eye on that.

On the other hand, the belt on mine has tracked great from the day I got it.

If it's luck, I'll take it.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Frank Howell

up a 30" at the wood dorking show in Milwaukee... Ordered on Sunday, arrives on Friday. $688 delivered with 3 rolls of paper and 2 fences... Pick up a new motor from Grainger... $140 DONE!

Demo vid....

Lex

Neat looking machine!

I'm looking forward to your in-depth review, once you get it set up.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Workin' on it!!!!!!!!!!

B A R R Y wrote: