Tabletop drum sander

Greetings All, I am looking for a tabletop drum sander that will be used mainly for final sizing after planing and maybe for removing planing marks. Delta used to make one, (the 18 x 36 is too big) but I no longer see it anywhere. I know Shopfox makes one, as does Jet and Performax. I think the Shopfox is a closed frame, which seems better than open ended, as long as I don't need any extra capacity in the width. Any opinions regarding these? Thanks, Mark

Reply to
mark

Sun, Feb 3, 2008, 12:32pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@Nowhere.com (mark) doth sayeth: Greetings All, =A0=A0I am looking for a tabletop drum sander

If you're willing to make your own, there's several free plans on-line, and a pay plan or two. Google drum sander plans.

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Jet and Performax are the same (Jet bought Performax). If it were me, I'd go for the Jet 10/20....you may be surprised how often you want to sand something more than 10-12" wide. Even if not, it is less expensive and the open frame is zero problem (on my 16-32 at least).

Reply to
dadiOH

To my knowledge Delta never made one (benchtop) unless it has been recent. 18 X 36 was the first (and i think only) entry into the market. Ryobi made one years ago, but it was not so hot. The original Performax line of drum sanders has been renbadged to Jet and the Performax name is being used for a new line of lowcost import stuff, not sure a drum sander is part of it.

I have an 18 X 36 Delta, use it a lot and like it. But if you don't have room you don't have room.

Closed frame is better if you don't need the width. No matter the brand all have to deal with the potential for deflection when fully loaded.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I have an "open frame" 22" sander and don't see why I need a frame on the other side unless I want to exceed the machine's capacity.

From your description, the open ended machine would work fine, as well as offer the opportunity to work wider stock when needed.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)