Drilling Ironwood (Eepay?)

Customer of mine wants to drill it with my machines on a production basis. I have no problems with metals so I know we can do it, but I need to know how it drills... Do I need to peck often like some of the gummy woods, do the chips come off well or do they stick, is it a dust hazard, etc.

Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

At present, I'm treating it like a VERY hard OAK. Maybe twice as hard as typical hardwoods...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Joe, Ipe oddly enough drills beautifilly. It really is no challenge for a sharp bit and the typical hand drill. I get a little sticking but I do with Oak also when using lower speefd. They do no stick badly enough that they are hard to remove. Typically a tap from the side dislodges the chips. Dust is not much of a concern so much as planing Ipe.

For drilling you should not seen any suprises.

IIRC 3 times harder than Oak.

Reply to
Leon

Good info. Thank you.

Good news. Thank you...

Okay. Thank you. Hard usually means the chips clear the bit better in deep holes (i.e. don't stick as soft woods are often wetter). However, dry soft woods are the easiest we've run across by far. Since I can do 3/4" in stainless steel, I think we should be able to handle this. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I am wondering if a parabolic bit would help with clearing?

Reply to
speedbuggy

Mesquite wood also behaves this way at times.

My Dad simply sharpened the correct size drill with a tip like a wood bit. That is a sharp pointed tip that curved to the outside and had a ridge like a wood bit. (Best explanation I have). Before this the drill bit simply burned away as fast as it was forced into the wood. Do use a carbide tipped drill.

He was able to do this until his eyesight failed and was not able to even locate the grinder.

Reply to
Bob AZ