Drill or Bore a deep hole

I need to drill a hole 1" in diameter through a 3" X 3" X 10" piece. It has to be close to center and 10" long. All my 1" bits are 5" or less in length. I know, I can drill it half way, then turn it over and drill it again, but I'd like to do it in one pass. I've got 20 or

30 of these to drill at the same time.
Reply to
billw

Drill bit extension? Part No. 33J04.45

drill?

Upscale

You can get spade and augur bits long enough to do what you need, or you can use an extension on one of your regular bits. If you take a look in the drill bit section at Home Depot or Lowes you'll probably find something suitable, if not then check and you'll find a variety of options.

Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------------ Classic application for a ship's auger.

Standard lengths are 12" & 18".

get you to Jamestown Distributors.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 04:19:25 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" wrote the following:

Too bad he didn't say he needed a 3/4" bit. A set of these set me back $12 on sale, and they've been put to good use occasionally.

most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lobby Dosser

As others have said, a ship's auger (just a very long auger bit) can do it. You'll want to turn the bit slowly, compared to twist-drill speeds.

Is this a hole into end grain?

End grain won't feed very well, it might benefit from a hard push... maybe turn the work in a lathe and push in the auger by sliding the endstock?

Reply to
whit3rd

the piece.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Really? I've done it on a couple lamps. No problem. Guess it depends on the chuck and DP.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Depends on how "centered" it needs to be. Centered enough to take a close sliding fit shaft, no, close enough to pass a cord through, yes.

The requirement was for "close to center", not centered to NASA tolerances.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The outside dimensions for the concrete foundations for Pad 39 were poured to ± 1" NASA tolerance. Not too shabby for a 390 ft hex.

Reply to
BrownLogBase10