Dovetails: getting started.

Reply to
Bob Bowles

I'd like to start doing dovetail joints, but don't have a jig, and I don't have the knack (or time) to hand cut. I have 2 routers, a PC 3HP, and a 15yr old Craftsman 3/4hp (1/4 shaft). What is a good kit that contains "everything" (including the bits I'll need). 10" max or around there is fine, and this is not for production, just hobby/garage time things. If there is no kit that has everything, could someone pick an example kit and explain what else I need.

I've seen kits in stores, but it doesn't list what else you need to do it, nor do they sell "dovetail bits". (Osh).

Thanks in advance for any time you spend explaining this. (I've done some web seaches, but haven't found the complete reference yet...)

C Wood

Do you have a "woodworking" store locally? If so, they should be able to point out everything you need...even if it doesn't come all in one box. You're better off with a carbide bit, anyway. The bits in those kits are frequently HSS :(

Reply to
Chris Merrill

You'll need an insert for your router that fastens to your router plate, straight-cut and dovetail bits. There are different sizes depending on the kind of joints you want. "Leigh" is the Cadillac of dovetail templates and the one to get. I'd avoid anything less. The Leigh directions will explain this and you will need to spend the time to learn this jig and spend some time setting it up properly.

Still, the most versatility is with handcut dovetails and a quality dovetail saw. I've cut perfect angled and decorative dovetails after just 30 hours of practice. You really should c>

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks, I just bought that model, and got the extra carbide tip. I'll let ya know how it goes this evening.

When I asked someone about it in the store, they knew nothing about it. They just sell stuff... Go figure.

Only snag is if that bit will (guide) will fit my router, if not I'll get another just for that.

Reply to
C Wood

Greetings:

I'd just like to express my agreement with this statement. Given the right tools, hand cut dovetails are easy to learn. I've seen dovetails for a drawer cut in a couple of minutes. I sure can't do it that fast (but I'm a putterer in the shop), but it's something I'm working toward.

You do need a good workbench, well-squared workpieces, a sharp chisel, and a well-tuned hand plane.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The problem is that hand cutting seems to be a perishable skill. I took the time to learn and then didn't do it for awhile - took along time to get it even close. I'm sticking with a jig. To me, it's like an ax and a chainsaw, I feel confident that the pioneers would have used a Homelight if they had one.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

Of course, an unbudgeted tool is going to cost 20 days of no beer. That's the only consequence.

Reply to
C Wood

BUT For the same price of that jig that will only do one thing, I can buy the tools I need to handcut DT and they will do many other things.

Kevin

Reply to
Other Brother Kevin

You say that like it's a *bad* thing. Handtool skills are acquired and honed (no pun intended) through practice. Rather than simply firing up a machine and having it do the work for you, you actually develop the motor skills that go into sawing, chopping, planing, etc.

Personally, I think that is something any woodworker would be well-served to learn. And I expect that my hobbies will require some effort on my part to achieve a certain level of proficiency. Whether it's woodworking, playing a musical instrument or flyfishing, *all* of the above involve "perishable" skills.

No doubt they would have for survival purposes or to put a roof over their heads. However, I expect there would still be some craftsmen who would recognize the unique nature of a handcut dovetail, and would choose to carry on that tradition.

So I guess it comes down to what you expect from your hobby. If you simply want to get something that holds together, machine-cut are certainly as good. If you think of woodworking as being about the process, then handcut would be the way to go.

And I firmly believe that *every* woodworker would be well-served to acquire some basic handtool skills. If nothing else, when the power goes out you can keep working by candlelight. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian