Dovetail clamps

Has anyone tried these? They look like they would be very useful for a lot of applications, but $40 for a pair of clamps feels a little pricey.
https://www.microjig.com/products/dovetail-clamps-2pk#Product-buy
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 09:48:01 -0700 (PDT), Michael

They seem to be intended as a substitute for T-track and its associated hold-downs. At 5-10 bucks a foot, it doesn't take long for t-track to add up to the same price. But there's a lot of stuff out there that fits t-track, so it really depends on what you have and what you need.
On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 11:48:05 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

ot of applications, but $40 for a pair of clamps feels a little pricey.

I use them. I bought a pair. after using them for a couple of months, I bo ught 6 more. I have found all kinds of uses for them. Its quick to take an y kind of stock (plywood or MDF) and run a dovetail bit through it in vario us directions to make a useful jig, or work top or glue-up clamping surface . Laying out T-track takes more time and is a real commitment to whatever layout you need. With the dovetail clamps, you can just keep cutting new s lots wherever you need them. I've done my share of dedicated T-track instal lations and probably won't do any more.
That's my experience. I am sure many will not see any value and that's fin e.
On 10/27/2019 5:32 PM, Bob D wrote:

Thinking aloud here. . . How difficult would it be to adapt this dovetail system to the current crop of T-Track hold downs. You may not get the depth afforded by these, but I suspect that depth may get in the way occasionally (what say you, Bob?).
A bit of aluminum bar stock, cut on an angle with a cheap carbide blade or router bit and cut off what you need to convert a current t-track clamp.
On 10/28/2019 4:50 PM, Leon wrote:

Both of these appear to be for use with T-Track vs. dovetail or am I missing something?
I like the idea of the dovetail "track" and think that if one could fabricate their own aluminum foot to attach to various hold downs like the ones made of t-track, you'd really have something going.
Consider a clamp similar to either the Microjig or the PowerTec that didn't have the foot attached, but rather just a screw in socket so you could attach a dovetail foot as I've described that would then allow the clamp to swivel 360 degrees.
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 6:55:38 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wr ote:

for

3RH/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=dovetail+clamp&qid72299145&sr=8-8

sr_1_19?keywords=dovetail+clamp&qid72299231&sr=8-19

I think your idea is validated by the fact that Microjig has come out with "track nutsl. I would think you could make something similar as you descri be. See this link:
https://www.microjig.com/products/dovetail-nut-4pk
On 10/28/2019 8:22 PM, Bob D wrote:

Close, but not really what I was thinking. Imagine if you will (cue theme music from "The Twilight Zone") that same type of track shoe but with a countersunk 10-32 screw sticking up from the bottom of the shoe. The exposed screw could then screw into either an existing or purpose built clamping mechanism. With the right screw size you could adapt any T-track clamp you had to the dovetail track and it would be allowed to swivel 360 degrees. For that matter, imagine how much better the MicroJig clamp shown by the OP would be if it could swivel instead of being locked into a single axis.
MicroJig's dovetail nut is a great start and for certain jigs it could be very handy indeed. I just think that they haven't yet carried their idea quite far enough.
The novelty here, as I see it, is not the clamps so much as it is the ability to make your own tracks in any suitable material and by using the dovetail method, provide strength that you could not accomplish by cutting some sort of t-slot in the wood or MDF, etc.

Understood, however this might be a case of tomato, tomaato. Off hand I do not see an advantage of a v-grove clamp over the typical slot clamp.
T-slots clamps have been around for a long time with no issue. This may be a case of a cure for something that does not have a problem.
I do see that the MicroJig Dato Stop jig requires a v-grove slot clamp so you may be locked in to using their v-grove clamps.
While you can use a DT bit to make your own v-groves in wood, you can also use a key hole slot bit to make groves for the regular slot clamp.
I use both the Festool track screw clamps and the ratchet track clamps, neither are v-grove and both hold as good as needed for me.
On 10/29/2019 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:

While I agree that we're talking apples vs apples (sorta, kinda), I like the idea of "making tracks" with a dovetail bit rather than laying down metal t-track. While I agree that one could likely replicate the t-track in wood using a key hole bit, do you think that it would withstand as much clamping pressure as the v-groove.
My thought is that the latter would be stronger and less likely to break free under undue pressure.
On 10/29/2019 11:29 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: ...

All 'pends on what you use for the substrate. I think realistically would only have an issue if used ply and the depth was such as to potential split along the ply. In solid hardwood (doubt if pine would be hard enough) I don't think either would be in danger as long as weren't totally in line w/ grain direction and even there I'd be surprised if could exert enough pressure to break it with those types of clamps.
On 10/29/2019 12:34 PM, dpb wrote:

We can probably lay this one to rest along with carcass of the dead horse we've beaten to death.
Interesting thread that managed to cover all the bases (I think) of an interesting woodworking tool/concept without veering off course or becoming rife with personal attacks. LOL!
On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 11:29:46 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

That's a realistic point that I had not brought up. The clamping pressure of the matchfit jigs far exceeds any T-track clamp I have ever seen. I hav e a number of jigs and a work table top that I made out of 1/2" MDF. Who w ould have thought that would work at all? But it does and quite well. The key-slot approach mentioned is inherently weaker because of the stress ris ers that occur at the right angle cuts inside the slot. I think they would break loose in 1/2" MDF for the applications I have done with Matchfit cla mps.
On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 11:39:39 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

l for

M3RH/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=dovetail+clamp&qid72299145&sr=8-8

=sr_1_19?keywords=dovetail+clamp&qid72299231&sr=8-19

What if you looked at this from a different angle? (pun intended)
Instead of a thinking of it as a solution looking for a problem, what if you looked at it as simply an alternative to T-tracks for those one- off jigs or out-of-the-ordinary clamping situations?
As Bob D said "Laying out T-track takes more time and is a real commitment to whatever layout you need." I have a few T-Track jigs that I built for specific projects that don't get much use, but I don't want to throw them out because it took me time to build them and maybe (I doubt it) I'll do a project just like that again.
If I have known about the dove tail clamps at the time, I could have built a jig that I wouldn't have minded throwing away or re-purposing when I was done with it.
Again, not a replacement for T-tracks, just an alternative.
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 4:51:01 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I tried the Makita clamps a while back. They were not the same quality as the microjig clamps. I returned them.