Dovetail Bit Angle Question

I want to make some drawers using sliding dovetails. I notice that most bits come in a 8 degree and a 14 degree version. Which angle would be better for my use? Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
trvlnmny

Depends. Watch this video:

Stoutman

If he has a subscription, that is.

> --

Reply to
CW

I didn't paya nickle and watched it twice. I must have been the 100th person to view it and won a prize!

Damn. I'm going to go buy a lotto ticket now before my winning streak runs out!

Reply to
Stoutman

It worked for me. No Charge!

From the video, I believe the 7* is stronger while the 14* has more of a visual impact. For your application I don't think it would matter unless you plan on keeping your rock collection in the drawer. Cheers, JG

Reply to
JGS

I believe it has to do with hardwood/softwood differences. Tradition explained

is a pretty good place for tutorials and a "surprise."

Reply to
George

For soft wood use 1:6 For hard woods use 1:8

Reply to
Phisherman