Doug Stowe - Welcome Back !

Doug,

Good to see you back - you've been missed. How about an update on your shop, the school programs and what books /articles you're working on?

For those not familiar with Doug Stowe, he is a contributing editor to "Woodwork" magazine, one of the very few magazines worth reading - and has definitely surpassed FWW in my opinion.

Visit Doug's site

if you want to see some excellent examples of his work and articles such as "The Wisdom of the Hands".

Wishing you and your family the very best in the New Year,

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Bob, I was just cruising by. It is really nice to see so much helpful discussion going on. There are so many posts a day now, I don't know how anyone can possibly keep up.

We are doing well. My teaching at Clear Spring School is getting better and better. Larry Williams of Clark and Williams Plane Makers

is my part time help in the program, so you can imagine what some of the kids are getting out of it. We are working on a sculpture project using early boat building techniques to go from half models to full dimensional sculptural forms that I hope will lead to some interesting furniture. Much easier to watch than to describe. My Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making with Taunton Press comes out in March, and I'll be teaching box making again this March at Arrowmont. I am going to post my most recent furniture commission on abpw.

Thanks for the welcome, Bob, and for the great endorsement of the magazine. I agree with what you said about Woodwork, except that since Taunton is publishing my new book, I will just put Woodwork and FWW on par. They are both exceptional magazines. FWW has become steadily more techniques oriented while Woodwork is what I read for adventure.

Take care, and Happy New Year.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Stowe

Doug,

Good to hear from you again and it does sound like you're staying busy.

some interesting furniture.

Hope you're capturing some photo's of those classes - sounds like the makings of another good article.

Looking forward to the new book - they're always a great read and superb photograpy too. I've tried twice now to align my schedule with classes at Arrowmont and it just hasn't happened yet but one of these days it will...

Your latest work is outstanding...(but the pics - need some punch)....Can you repost them at a higher resolution?

The "river" is a hallmark feature in your designs which definitely adds interest to the table. The tables, "We Traveled Rivers" and the "Hall Table", shown in your book "Making Elegant Custom Tables" used this simple but elegant design element to capture the eye.

Ahhhhhhh shucks......t'weren't nuthin......(just send the check to...;)

The piece, "Moving On" by Scott Gibson is an excellent example of that adventure and the rest of the magazine was exceptional too. I like the mix they have and the "freshness" of the writing. They're obviously working hard at putting together a quality product - and it shows!

Be good,

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Miss ya Doug! I'm on the list (I hope) for an autographed version of the new book...looking forward to it!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes