Not OT: philosophy book recommendations

I'm looking for some bedside reading material, but I'm not interested in technique or how-to books of which I have plenty (I can only read how to hand cut dovetails so many times). I recently read George Nakashima's "Soul of a Tree" (see my other post about the upcoming Nakashima show in LA). Before that I enjoyed Ross Laird's "Grain of Truth: the Ancient Lessons of Craft" and David Pye's "The Nature and Art of Workmanship". I guess I enjoy the more "philosophical" type of writing about woodworking, craftsmanship, and design.

Do you have any favorites along the "philosophical" line? What would you recommend (or NOT recommend)?

TIA, Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd

"Reverence For Wood", Eric Sloane.

"Classic Wood Finishing", George Frank.

"Encyclopedia...", Diderot.

"The Foxfire Series".

"Japanese Woodworking Tools:...", Toshio Odate.

All of James Krenov's books.

Search terms: "Martin Heidegger" "Tools". "That with which our everyday dealings proximally dwell is not the tools themselves. On the contrary, that with which we concern ourselves is primarily the work."

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

a book called "house". can't remember the author. it's fiction, but a good read.

Reply to
bridger

As a follow up to my own query, I came across an article by the editor of Woodwork magazine on the last page of the current issue. It is a "summer reading list" for woodworkers and includes books about Sam Maloof, George Nakashima and catalogues from several recent museum shows from around the country. Looks like some interesting stuff.

BTW, I came across Woodwork a while back and think it's about the best magazine out there, even better than the venerable FWW. For me, it's a good combination of articles on technique, design and personalities without any tool reviews (which, in most magazines, is just advertising masquerading as editorial material).

And, no, I am not affiliated with the magazine. Just plugging a favorite.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd

Any of James Krenov's books, though his first book The Impractical Cabinet Maker (IIRC) was the first woodworking book I read that got into the "why" of woodworking rather than the "how" and "with what". It is interesting that the terms used when someone really gets into something are similar or identical. Musicians, physicists, sculptors, mathematicians ... speak of elegance, balance, harmony, simplicity ...

After reading the first Krenov book my view of wood and woodworking changed. Wood was no longer just a material and "work" went out of "woodworking". That's when the "AH!" Zen moments became more frequent and the "AH SH T!" moments became less frequent.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b