Door scratches - suggestions for a fix

A guy called me up, because he got my name from somewhere else and wanted to know of I knew anyone with a wide (36" planner or sander).

When I questioned him on what he needed it for, he told me that he recently moved into a place and the previous owner's dog scratched the front door. The scratches are about 1/8" deep and are just along the bottom part of the door.

I told him that perhaps a cabinet shop with a big sander might help, but as an alternative, perhaps hand sanding with a sander might be better.

I also suggested a handheld planner but I think that was a bit overkill.

All I know is that the door is some sort of hardwood, he wasn't sure what it was and 35 1/2" in width.

Any other suggestions?

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

I don't know how appropriate this would be. But I have just covered the bottom of the door with other material. I have used some aluminum or some other kind of wood. I have seen the scratches filled in with putty and covered with lexan (polycarbonate). I know that a lot of folks consider their doors to be a work of art and should be treated like furniture.

I had a cat who used to jump on the screen door and tear it up. I just installed a big piece of lexan over it. The problem was solved. The cat got really pissed off though! LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Really depends on where the scratches are. Filler or wax sticks and touch up toning would require a fair bit of time and a good eye. Maybe glue on a piece of matching wood plywood and put some moldings around it to make it look like a raised panel? If the scratches are right up to the edge of the door, then that won't work, but you could veneer the whole door. If you're doing the job it might be time to upsell the guy on something a little more involved and a little more lucrative. Maybe a nice herringbone pattern for some visual interest. Or just get a new blank and start fresh.

RicodJour

My initial thought is, "kickplate."

If those scratches are in fact 1/8" deep, sanding down that far in one area will look very strange. If it's a solid core door with a veneer, sanding that deep with likely go all the way through the veneer. If the door is painted, fill the scratches, sand and paint. If it's stained, maybe it's time to paint the whole door. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

MJ,

Sounds like a perfect job for hand planes, no? Is that what you meant by "handheld planner"? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to achieve "good enough" since the repair will be on the back of the bottom of a door, unless the door's location is highly conspicuous. In this case, maybe the back of the door needs to be "darkened" a bit. Disclaimer: They let anyone post on Usenet. I am not a woodworking professional.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If the door is a front entrance door, and the house will support it a brass kick plate that corvers the scratches looks real classy. Of course the other door fittings would have to be changed to match.

Reply to
k-nuttle

I just thought, if he wants to keep the door, to skin it with a veneer.

Would solve a lot of problems.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

Actually, the kick plate idea is better. If you skin it with a door skin ( +/- 1/8" thick) you will have to reset the hinges and locks, or tear off the stops and reset them if it is on the front side. Adding to the thickness will change the fit in the opening. It might require you to look hard at the hardware as well as the connecting screws for the lock/latch halves may not be long enough to get a good bite.

If it is on the back side of the door, you can add the veneer, and only worry about the lock/latch.

Just my 0.02.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A guy called me up, because he got my name from somewhere else and wanted to know of I knew anyone with a wide (36" planner or sander).

When I questioned him on what he needed it for, he told me that he recently moved into a place and the previous owner's dog scratched the front door. The scratches are about 1/8" deep and are just along the bottom part of the door.

I told him that perhaps a cabinet shop with a big sander might help, but as an alternative, perhaps hand sanding with a sander might be better.

I also suggested a handheld planner but I think that was a bit overkill.

All I know is that the door is some sort of hardwood, he wasn't sure what it was and 35 1/2" in width.

Any other suggestions?

MJ

More information please.. :~)

Is it a pretty or expensive door?

If not,

Might simply want to bondo/putty in the gouges and paint the door. Or replace it for $50.

Reply to
Leon