Door Design

Pretty nifty design. Would you want one?

Meanie

No I believe in the kiss principle, that goes for fancy electronic lighting, door locks, plumbing fixtures and all the "wonderful" 21st century stuff for your home.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Pocket door without the pocket?

Reply to
krw

I don't see it as something I'd want, either, but it's not exactly "high tech". It's just ugly. ;-)

Of course, I'd like some of that "high tech" electricity stuff, sometime soon. :-(

Reply to
krw

It's an example of how a comparatively small slice of the population processes information differently than the majority.

It's an interesting concept, that Torrgler has worked out in several different variations.

If you look at this as replacing a conventional door then you are missing the point, and that is rather normal.

I fall in the other group. In fact, I don't even see it as a door, and have mentally filed it away. I like it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

---------------------------------- I know it's not Cleveland, but how is the weather in Atlanta?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's a winter blunderland out there! About 1/2" of ice topped by perhaps a 1/2" of snow. Cold and very crisp, you can hear all the trains.

Power went out for about an hour. I must say that crews fixing the lines are doing a bang up job.

Raleigh, apparently is experiencing the same problem that befell Atlanta two weeks earlier. Snow came in early afternoon for them and they did the same thing Atlanta did, and created instant gridlock.

Here, this time, it was freezing rain early AM. Nobody was out (Atlantans know about ice storms and are afraid of them), and for the most part nobody has gone out. Traffic cams are full of empty roads.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Lost power for 30hrs. It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats were trying to share our body heat ;). We didn't eat much yesterday (too cold to get out from under the covers for long) so went out for lunch. We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a dusting of snow on top. the roads were fine. When we came home, about 4:30, the power had been on for about 45min and the house was warm(er). Back to work tomorrow.

Reply to
krw

Two weeks ago, it started raining here about the same time but everyone was (properly) gun shy this time. Most businesses called it the day before, as did government. The governor and Atlanta's mayor took a *lot* of heat and didn't want to make that mistake again. They did the right thing, this time.

Reply to
krw

---------------------------- Glad to see you are surviving.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We've only been in the house for a couple of years and haven't had any power outages at all but with Global Warming what it is, now, we gotta do something for backup heat. I may just put ventless gas logs in the fireplace (we'd have to put in LP).

Reply to
krw

Yikes.

It was 49F in the house this morning (the cats

Restaurants were very busy, I've heard.

I've thought a bit about emergency heat, although I have a very seldom used woodstove fireplace insert in a different part of the house.

Cleanest would be to get a propane cat heater, messier is to get some lamp fuel for kerosene lanterns. It's about 1000 BTU/hr for each lamp, a couple lamps could knock the chill off a room. White gas and a double mantle "coleman" lamp would probably toast you up.

Just a thought.

Jeff

We're on the SW side of Atlanta so only had 1/4" of ice and a

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Yep. I've never been in a waiting line to get seated at 2:00 on a weekday before. I think they were missing staff, though. We had nowhere to go. ;-)

We'll probably put vent-free gas logs in the fireplace. SWMBO wants a the gas stove we had in our Alabama house, so we'll have to put LP in anyway. It won't be a huge issue because the basement is unfinished.

We used kerosene heaters in NY for emergency heat. Not so good. In VT we had a wood stove that would drive you out of the house if it wasn't below 10F, or so. ;-) We never lost power for any time, though. We're in a development now, too, but it's kinda out in the boonies.

Reply to
krw

Just don't wind up with carbon monoxide poisining... Some idiots in Philly put charcoal grills in their home to heat it... Imagine?

Reply to
woodchucker

That's how my current fireplace is with heatilator. The damn thing is so oversized for my small house. It cooks you out of the house, you open the doors. The heatalator is very efficient, I can run it off a car battery and inverter.

Reply to
woodchucker

Darwin at work.

Reply to
krw

That is exactly what I thought!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I thought that may be the case, when you mentioned 30 hours! I'm *in* the city.

Pretty quiet for a corner lot as none of the other corners are occupied. One is a mother in law that the mother in law never came. One in rehab, and one that burned that I have maintained in a mostly woodsy manner, I rather like it! Woods on the periphery, blackberry fields down the block. Ah, city life!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Well, we're technically "in the city" but it's not Atlanta. ;-)

;-)

Our subdivision was half built when the '08 crash came and we're at the back edge of the development. There were only two houses back this far (set aside for full basements) and my lot backs to woods. The lots are all larger than 1.5acres so it's pretty quiet here. They're just getting back to building now (a house going up on one side, now).

Reply to
krw