Does anyone really find anything at flea markets?

$80? Had to clean them up real good, but it was alot of fun to do it. Got to know the machines real well that way. Or a Delta 6 inch Jointer for $200.

Like one of the post's said, don't expect anything and you wont be dissapointed. When you do find something good, its a great surprise. Treat it as a day out with the wife...look for things for her, pretty soon, she'll be looking for things for you. Got a 5hp snowblower for $200. Take it as a chance to see the other subdivisions in your area..sometimes you meet some nice folks. Sometimes the price they'll give it to you, will be much less than the price marked on it, if you convince them you're going to use it. I think every man who sells his father's stuff knowing he can't use it, wants to see it used by someone who will.

I've found that the garage sales that you least expect to have anything are the ones that have a tool or something for you. I do stay away from the ones that have all baby stuff on the driveway tho...can't stand them.

Al Morgan

Reply to
allen.morgan

I think that old tool dealers only sell at certain flea markets where there is a critical mass of old tool customers as well as other dealers to socialize and trade with. They don't want to pay for booth space if most of the customers are looking for scented candles, Donnie & Marie records, etc. There is supposed to be a major old tool flea market and auction in New Hampshire every year, but I don't know what it is called.

There is some more info on finding old tools here:

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Well, now that I've been pointed to the link and had a recommendation, I went for a look. Uh, let's just say its not my style of used power tools. I don't have much use for a 1930 vintage Rockwell or a 36" saw of any brand name. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bingo. The "hunt" also gets me out of bed at 6:30 on saturday mornings when I would otherwise sleep until 9:30, and my bride likes the idea that I power walk through the fleas scanning all the aisles. Its them old hunter-gatherer genes buried deep in my DNA I guess. I tend to upgrade, i.e., my first line "user" #3 changed 4 times, so eventually I end up with Sweetheart era bench planes in cherry condition. Still looking for a 92, 93 and 94, the collectors pick them up quick, but if I may brag, I did get a Stanley #1 (cracked mouth, tote, alas but all original) from the bottom of a kid's tool box at one of them baby clothes and toy yard sales in Indian Trail, NC, and paid $1 for it. I was not sure it was what I thought it was until I got back into my truck and rubbed off the grime. That was my only big "bargain." regards.Mutt.

Reply to
Mutt

I hear ya. My swmbo is a quilter who wanted such a machine. I scored treadle machine with oak cabinet (OWWM)..... I talked him down from 100 to 65. The cabinet finish was rpetty well trashed on top, but the shellac finish was not that tough to repair.

Fully functional, all accessories except it needed a belt (a new leather one was found for

Reply to
Stephen M

Yes, it's called The Hunt.

To make an analogy, If all grocery stores closed most people wouldn't know how to feed themselves.

The most successful hunters are those who enjoy the game.

If all you hunt is big game, or one type of creature, you'll miss out on the enjoyment of scoring a squirrel.

Reply to
Mark