selling items at flea markets, and craft shows

Does anyone here sell things at craft shows, flea markets, etc as a source of income, or as a source of funds for continuing on with your addiction? If so, what kind of things do you make, what sells well, and is it worth it? Are people attending these things willing to pay a fair price for an item?

Reply to
js

I have a little expertice in these matters. First you almost have to draw a line between craft show and flea market and ther is also a big difference between craft shows. In a flea market quality doesn't always sell. I have seen some absolute junk being sold like hot cakes. I mean it didn't make any differance to the guy making the stuff if there was a 2 inch knot hole in the next chunk of wood or not, that was the next piece to be cut and folks bought the stuff. To grade the lumber #3 would have been a compliment.The other problem with flea markets is if you do come up with something thart sells next week everyone will be selling the same thing only cheaper. Some of the sellers will also have acess to scraps from some manufacturing plant so the have no marterial costs. Tough racket but you can make money and have fun .

Craft show type 1. Good quality moderate prices. the competation may be stiff but folks will pay for quality work but a fair prices. This is the type of market I did business in for about 5 years. I made childrens furniture, tables, chairs, desks, shelves, toy boxes,and beds. All of which are a lot of work. I used pine and poplar as my woods of choice. At that time rough poplar was cheeper than pine. The key here is to be able to make the items fast and well. Good tools and lots of jigs.

Craft show type 2 These are usually juryed shows, very snobbish . Yes you get high dollar for your stuff but it hat to be almost an "object de art" to qualify to show. You can make the same stuff but use better woods like oak and walnut with a better finish.

Pricing Charge what the traffic will bare. Go to these places and see what other folks are charging. A good starting point though is 1/3 material, 1/3 labor, 1/3 profit. then adjust from there.

Bottom l>Does anyone here sell things at craft shows, flea markets, etc as a source

Reply to
JL

Keep in mind it's just as hard to sell a $60 dollar table as it is to sell a $600 table. Target your customers, sell towards the upper end, and don't be afraid to price your work where it should be.

Reply to
Rumpty

Not if you're selling a $600 dollar table for $60. :)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

LOL Harry!

My suggestion is don't waste your time selling cheap crap, go after the high dollar market and you'll be able to buy a new truck now and then.

Reply to
Rumpty

Market is down right now and has been for the last two years. Customers are being very picky about what they buy and at the better shows looking for more quality. Shows that should have brought in 5x booth fee are doing 2 or

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

What about selling on ebay?

Dave Smith

Reply to
David Smith
Reply to
Anthony Diodati

My wife sells stuff on eBay

and consistently does well. However, anybody who hasn't done it tends to seriously overestimate how much work is involved, and how much of a pain in the ass the folks that run eBay can be. Biggest problem is utter lack of control over your own business, and the fact that eBay itself does not have sufficient credible competition to keep them honest. We are currently looking for alternatives, and flea markets and crafts shows are beginning to look very appealing.

-- Howard

Howard

over-estimate or under-estimate?

Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Charlie Self

more on this, please... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

underestimate; thanks.

-- Howard

Howard

??

Just look around. eBay is #1, and #2-#10 are so far down in the noise you can't even find them. There are some specialty auction sites, but only for stuff that eBay refuses to handle, such as guns. There are a few others, but how many people even know that ubid.com exists, and that yahoo.com does auctions? There are about 50-60 such auction sites, and all together, they handle about 2% of the auction volume of eBay. So everybody flocks to eBay; the buyers because the selection is better (and many of them don't know about any other auction site), and the sellers because they can get better prices than anywhere else.

That said, for some reason about which I am utterly clueless, I've seen stuff go on liquidation.com for prices higher than on eBay, which I think is just insane (or maybe hopeful).

-- Howard

Howard

hmm.... it seemed like you were saying something about dishonesty in ebay's business practises. wouldn't surprise me, but I was hoping for specifics.

Reply to
Bridger

Howard responds:

My fingers do me in, too.

I figured it almost had to be under-estimate, because I keep getting halfway through the process of setting up for e-bay sales and then finding something else to do. I'm starting to get an overload of old (nearly antique) tools used for photos, all small, inexpensive stuff, that I'd love to get out of here before we sell the house and move home, so I don't have to move it all.

I guess, sooner or later. I've saved a bunch of small boxes and packing material.

Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Charlie Self

I've tried to figure the economics of this ever since my sister showed me a crappy plant stand that she bought at a craft show. It was a simple pine stand with 3 shelves somewhat sanded, minwax stained, and a coat of poly slapped on. They were sold for $15. At first I thought why pay $15 for that crap, I can make much better for 1/2 the price ;) So since everyone in the family thought it was so nice, I decided to make a bunch for presents. Material consisted of one 6' 1x6 pine, 12 -

1" drywall screws, 12 screwhole button plugs, a little stain and a little poly. Average cost from the Borg about $8 ( I realize if buying in bulk from someplace else I might get that down to $6). Cut the board in half, crosscut one half into thirds for the shelves and rip the other half into 4ths for the legs. 45 cut the corners of the shelves. Round over all edges of the shelves and legs on the router. Drill the 12 holes in the legs and counter bore for the plugs. Sand everything (granted I wouldn't put as much effort into this for a craft show as for presents). Stain everything. Poly everything (I sanded between coats and gave them all 2 coats. Probably would stop at one for the craft show). Screw it all together and glue in the screw plugs and voila they were done. I cannot concieve of me averaging less than a half hour per unit for craft show quality work (hell I couldn't do it that fast, but I am real slow). Plus time for materials purchasing, shop cleanup, etc. Then time to find craft shows, sign up, load the truck, drive there, setup, sell the stuff, pack up and drive home. Probably add about a half hour per unit sold. So, a minimum of an hour or more per unit for at best a $9 gross profit (before overhead, insurance, gasoline, show fees, etc.). Seems to me better to work some crappy job and keep my woodworking for fun and relaxation.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

craft shows, sign up,

That is one type of crafter you see out there. Here is another:

Find show, Talk to other vendors who have done show to see how good of a show it is. Jury for show (Take professional(not snapshots) slides of merchandise including booth) send slides and jury fee to show promoters at least 3 months prior to show (sometimes up to 1 year before show) If you are accepted then you make inventory for show. You will need the following before you go to the show: Booth: Tent: some shows require a professional tent, such as a light dome ($1000+ -) Crafthut ($1000 +-) EZup (3 to $400 +-) or something similar. Some shows you can get away with just a dinning fly or no tent for some products, if you get permission first. (see jury slides of booth)

Display: You will need to get an attractive display, not just a few boards on a saw horse, I use shelves that I set my work up on, others use screens and walls, all of which must be approved by the show promoters (see jury slides of booth).

Lighting: So that you can show off your goods in the best way, even in daylight tents can be dark. Lighting should be invisible to the customer.

Insurance: $100000 in the minimum for a show. In my case I am now up to about $1800 before I pay a booth fee or have merchandise.

Booth fee for outdoor show ranges from $100 to $1000 depending on the show Indoor shows range is $100 to $3000 but you don't need the tent.

Altogether a decent show will run you $2000 and up before you even make the first item.

Now you need a place to stay and food, figure for 2 people $100 a night min. (I camp out a lot when I can, it cuts costs.)

Granted you can get in to some shows for $10 and no jury etc., but you figure which type of show you can do the best at.

And then there are guest shows where they pay you to come, I do several of these and they are the way to go. One is $600 booth fee and 3 year waiting list. They give me the booth and tent with electricity, buy lunch and supper, pay me $100 a day to come. Don't expect to get these until you have a name for yourself though.

Your $9 profit just got eaten up quick, you have a lot of competition at these shows and items like the plant stand usually set around begging. The people selling at these shows are good real good and the customer in very savvy about what they want. On coat of poly splashed on a pine board doesn't cut it. At the lower end shows you can do it, but a lot of them are just glorified flea markets.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

I make a lot of doll sized items for my grandchildren. I bring them to work to send out UPS to them and inevitably my co-workers say "why don't you make them to sell" or "you can make a fortune with them" and on and on.

I should show them your numbers. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

eBay is a real pain in the ass and now that they own Paypal, they've gotten worse. They figure that nobody can touch them, so if they play fast and loose with their own rules, you really can't go to the competition because they don't have any.

Paypal decided, at one point, to 'return' a payment someone had made to me without bothering to tell me about it. They never answered any e-mails about it, they never returned any phone calls, they simply took my money, gave it to someone else and that was that.

This is not at all unusual, I hear plenty of people getting screwed by eBay all the time.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I have seen some specific allegations against both PayPal and eBay, but I have not experienced any dishonest dealings firsthand (yet). All I meant here was that eBay does not have any meaningful competition, and it's only a matter of time before they decide that since they are the only game in town, they can do whatever they want. They are already pretty high-handed, and they have increased their fees again this month.

-- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor

snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting!

Howard