Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

Works OK for me. I also have the Delta mortising attachment. It does what it says. I would bet a dedicated mortiser would make a cleaner hole, but who cares? You can't see it anyway.

For the weekend hobbiest, I think it fits the bill.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Yes, I've tried it. Want one? I'll send you this one for the cost of shipping.

Reply to
CW

The bit bores a round hole using an electric motor and the square chisel cuts the four sides by using downward force using lever action. On a drill press the downward lever is short and the pressure on the square chisels is not effective. On a dedicated mortiser the square chisel is driven downward with a much longer lever arm mounted on a much larger rack and pinion. So when you lower the lever down while boring the round hole the square chisel cut effectively and smoothly.

Reply to
<marierdj