Do All Sliding Miter Saws Do This? 45° Cut vs. Blad e Guard

Is this a "feature" (read: bad design) of my Bosch CM10GD miter saw or do a ll sliding saws have the following issue? This is just a curiosity question , not something that would make me return the saw.

I was testing the saw and tried to make a 45° cut in a board that meas ures exactly 1 1/8" thick by 7 1/8" wide. I positioned the board so that the cut would begin about 5/8" from the end of the board. This was just a random positioning, but in real life I might even use less so as to end up with minimal waste.

Obviously, with a board of that width I had to use the sliding feature of the saw. The cut was going fine until the bottom opening of the blade guard got caught on the corner of the waste piece and stopped the saw from sliding in any farther. Had I anticipated that problem, I would have used the hold down clamp and had a free hand to lift the guard slightly so that it wouldn't have gotten caught.

Is this common to all sliding miters or are there blade guard designs that avoid catching the waste end of the board?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, it is a common problem and is not particular to sliding compound miter saws. I had that issue more than once with my older Delta 12" non slider compound miter saw, especially when making a bevel cut.

Reply to
Leon

do all sliding saws have the following issue? This is just a curiosity ques tion, not

Thanks. I thought so.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Common problem with circular saws, too.

Reply to
krw

Just about every retractable blade safety gets in the way on some type of job or another. Even using my circular saw there are some cuts where the blade guard just always hangs up.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Especially those pesky plunge cuts.. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*** Especially those pesky plunge cuts.. ;-) ***

LOL. IRL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe