DeWalt table saw DW746XB

I am considering replacing my old table saw with the above DeWalt(10 inch with inboard mounted 1.75 hp motor).

Does anyone out there have any experience with this saw and an opinion as to it's performance?

Thanks guys.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

I've had this saw, with 30" fence for several years and I love it. It cost me $900 but in my opinion it's worth every penny. It's not a Unisaw but for my small shop it works just fine. I extended the left side with melamine and the optional cast iron wing. The right side I extended with the 2 stamped steel wings....cut a hole in the one farthest right and mounted my router. It's a good saw. If I had it to do over again with the same amount of money I'd do the same thing.

Thanks for the response. I am hoping to get something quieter, more powerful, and with a dust port so I am thinking the DeWalt will fit the bill.

I looked at Delta Unisaws but they are around $1800 and look to use a

220 volt plug, which I do not have anyway. But they do look like they have plenty of power (3hp plus). I guess that's why the need for the 220 volts.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Relatively speaking the 746 is a quiet saw. My saw before that was a Delta bench top converted into a table saw and the first think I noticed when I turned on the 746 for the first time is how quiet it was in relation to the bench top...course comparing the two saws is not really fair....

I wired my 746 for 220 v as that is an option. Doesn't give you any more power it just runs cooler. I don't really use the dust port on it....I just blow it into a cardboard box.

Good luck...if you choose the 746 I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Kelly

I have a DW746. Overall it is a nice machine. The fence is not great, but not terrible. I replaced mine with a Biesemeyer commercial. I also got mine used, but if I had to pay the new price, I believe I would have gotten something else. For what I would have paid for the saw and the fence, I could easily have bought a Grizzly cabinet saw. Also, on the subject of

120/240, I am definitely going to rewire that saw, as I have tripped the breaker a couple of times. Maybe it would be fine on a dedicated 120 feed, but if I go to all that trouble, I might as well go ahead and run 220. Also, the 3hp motor on a cab saw would be very nice from time to time. Good luck whichever way you go. I doubt you'd be dissappointed with the DeWalt, but the Grizzly can be had for the same money, so I think it's worth a look. They even have a 2hp 120v model.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz