DEWALT DC4CPKA 18-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless 4-Tool Combo Kit any good?

If I needed the tools, I'd buy it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

sale for $200, what do you guys think? Old Ni-Cad technology, but so cheap now. I expect it to be a throw away in 5 years as battery replacement may not be available or too expensive.

Reply to
Frank

Me too. But it is off sale already, and back up to a squirt under $300. Still a good deal, but I would have to need more than the drill to buy it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

> On sale for $200, what do you guys think? Old Ni-Cad technology, but so

I think that battery powered tools work well if the tool is a drill, impact driver, or a flash light. Past that it's a lick and a promise as to whether the battery will have enough oomph to get through a few cuts. The batteries are 2 generations old and the batteries while probably unused have also probably been setting on a shelf for several years. I'd absolutely not expect the batteries to last much over a year or two much less five years.

I put that money with something more and buy something a bit more modern.

Reply to
Leon

> On sale for $200, what do you guys think? Old Ni-Cad technology, but > so

Don't worry about the batteries--deWalt's 18v lithium ion batteries work fine on their older tools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've fallen in love with the 18V recip saw. So many times, all I need is to whip through door frame nails, trim a few branches, or something along those lines, and no cord is soooo easy.

I set up the circular saw with a decent carbide blade, and it's become my first choice for breaking down sheets. It's not suitable for constant job site use, but around the shop it's been handy.

Reply to
B A R R Y

>>> On sale for $200, what do you guys think? Old Ni-Cad technology, but >> so

But will that older technology charger work on the new Lithium batteries? If so, I'd say go for it also.

Reply to
Leon

Lowe's has it for $200 for now. For $300, go for the Milwaukee package instead, it has the hammer drill with an all steel chuck and the recip saw should be better too as the DeWalt vibrates too much at higher speeds.

Reply to
Frank