Dewalt 733 dust shroud broke ARGHHHHHH!

Just like my dad used to do. Anything that broke, he called the manufacturer or wrote them a letter. Pretty soon, here comes a new part or item in the mail.

He had an ice maker quit working after 8 years, wrote to GE, got a new one in the mail about 3 weeks later.

I always accused him of being cheap. He was, but he was good at it too.

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

Do we need proof of purchase or a photo to prove that it broke. What about a broken router bit. Tibur

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

The part arrived from Dewalt yesterday via UPS Ground... I think it has been

8 days since I contacted dewalt. The metal dust shroud it is *way-more-beefy* than the plastic original.

As I mentioned previously, the new part exhausts at 45 degrees right as opposed to 90 degrees left. There is a significant turned-in-lip in the 4" port. While this lip gives support to the structure of the port, it will also impede air flow a bit. I suspect this will negate any benefit of the decreased exit angle.

Also, it now exits on the oposite side from the power cord???? Not a big deal, but it makes me wonder why?

Anyway, I'm happy to have a the new part courtesy of Dewalt. I'll repost if I there is a noticable change in performance.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen Meier

don't worry about the lip on the port. I've been using that same dust port for at least a year and it doesn't impact performance. The biggest problem is that the port is slightly too large to allow the DC hose end (tapered plastic) to slip over it far enough not to fall off half the time. Starting up the planer with the DC hose lying on the ground is a real pisser when the chips start flying all over the shop. I've resorted to securing the hose with a piece of tape.

dave

Stephen Meier wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hose clamp?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

NO! there is a hose clamp on the hose to the plastic end that stays on the hose. I can't clamp that part to the dewalt! the plastic end is a bit too small to go far enough onto the dewalt's dust port. get it???

dave

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

maybe I need to post a picture for you...

dave

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Can't you simply clamp the hose directly to the DeWalt fitting? My DC hose goes OVER the DeWalt fitting, there are no plastic pieces in between.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

the plastic portion attached to the hose is a quick coupling that works on ALL my other equipment. Besides, even with the coupling off, it's a PITA to get the hose end over the dewalt fitting. it just isn't dimensioned correctly. The ports on the TS, BS, router table, and jointer all fit the hose coupling. The dewalt is the maverick.

dave

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Ah, quick connects!

How about adding a short, maybe a foot long, section of hose to the DeWalt, with a matching quick connect at the other end? You could then permanently attach the short hose to the planer, and still be able to quick connect with ease.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

That is a good idea, Barry. I'll see what CB Tools has in stock next time I go down there. Thanks!

dave

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Just don't pay too much for it. =8^0

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

they mark everything up 20% just for me!

dav

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I got my DW733 metal dust shroud from Lowe's for $15.00 on a close out. They had a whole shopping cart filled with them.

Reply to
Ace