Deodorizing wet wood

My kitchen shelves (which are unfinished, solid wood, more than 40 years old) got wet because of a lead upstairs and now they have a sour type smell. This may come from something in the wood. How can I clean and deodorize them? Thanks.

Reply to
Bookish

I'm not sure about the getting rid of the odor but you can seal the shelves. A couple of coats of shellac will seal the odor and make them easier to clean.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try wiping them down with OdoBan available at Sam's Club and probably others. I used this on literally everything after the flood last year so I know first hand that it works extremely well. After literally spraying the entire basement with straight Clorox - that smell gets unbearable. Mixed up the OdoBan per the instructions and misted the basement - Clorox smell gone!

Just to set the record straight, the proper mixture for using Clorox to kill mold and mildew is 1 cup per gallon of water according to the local health dept. At the time, I didn't know that, so if a little bit is good, then.....

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

An ozone generator.

Make sure you seal the cabinets, then evacuate the house before styarting.

BTW, ozone attacks rubber, so any hoses that get exposed will be weakened.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mix 1 quart warm water, 1/2 t. oil soap, 1/4 cup bleach in a spray bottle. Spray on then rinse. Dry quickly with old towels, lightly sand the next day with 220 grit sandpaper.

Reply to
Phisherman

This stuff

is amazing.

Removed the smell of gasoline from my van in three days.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone