Delta 36-650 tablesaw Dado size limit?

I'm looking at buying a new dado set, I read suggestions that an 8" set can burn out a motor, should I stick with a 6" set? Thanks, Denny

Reply to
Denny

When I was at the Springfield show, the owner of Ridge Carbide Tools was hakinghis wares. They offered the 6" and 8" at the same price that day. I asked about what to buy. He said that any 1 1/2 hp contractor saw can handle the 8". The 6" were mostly for smaller benchtop saws. He was, in fact, doing demos with the 8" on a contractor saw.

FWIW, the Ridge dado sems to be a very nice set. I've not had time to do much with it yet as the shop is too cold when the outdoor temps are single digits.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:E6iVb.4423$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

I was able to sucessfully use the Freud SD208 8" dado set on my !@#$@%ing Shopsmith. That is, once I ordered the non-standard arbor set, and custom throat plate, and managed to set the ~#$%%^ing thing up so that all of the !@#$%ing adjustments didn't randomly 'self-adjust'. But there was enough power to cut reasonable depth and width dados & rabbets.

(A Unisaw changed my woodworking life. And the Shopsmith is now in my son's garage. We're both happier.)

If you want to cut 1.5" deep, 3/4" wide dados in 12/4 white oak, in a single pass, you may be disappointed. If you select your battles, a well- tuned contractor's saw should be just fine with a reasonable quality stacked set. Keep it cleaned up and sharp.

And enjoy the process!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have the Delta 36-650, and the freud 8" dado set. This past summer, I made some tongue and groove floorboards for my porch (7'x25') with this combination. Granted, this was only 1/4" tongues and grooves, but it did them just fine. I have some upcoming projects that will use 3/4" dado blade, but note anywhere as "intense" as the floorboards.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

I own the 36-650 and use a Frued dado set. Works just fine. Delta recommends an 8 inch set. The limitation is on the width of the dado (or length of arbor). But it can handle 3/4 just fine an that is all one should need.

Reply to
Joseph Smith