plastic air pipe

i remember from here a year or so ago that there was great debates over the use of plastic pipe for workshop air compressor piping, i think in american they use scedule 40 pipe??

anyway, i know plastic pipe shouldent be used for this use, as if the pipe ever fractures, it does so explosively when it's got 150 psi of air pressure inside it, and i have a habit of sending things flying in my workshop every now and then, broke a few fluorescent lights, and even cut a power cable once when a piece of wood flew from a tool.. i know i should be more carefull, but everyone gets kick back sometime, mine tend to fly upwards.. where the air pipes will be ran.

Anyway, i was going to use copper pipe, but got the new axminster review magazine through the door today, and they have in it a plastic air pipe system,

ok, their pipe is sold as nylon pipe, is this different to the usual pvc pipe used in america (i'm in the UK if your still guessing :) i.e is the nylon pipe safe if it ever ruptures, i'd imagine it'll be resistiant to rupturing if it gets hit, as nylon pipe shouldent be as brittle as pvc pipe, but before i look into getting some 15mm nylon pipe from a local supplier, i'd like to know if this is a good idea?

i know most people say pvc pipe for air systems is not a good idea, but it's still sold and people use it, most without incidnet,

Is nylon pipe a good idea? it's sure make my pipework a lot easier, as i'd like to run the pipes on the top of the celing joists, and can't do that with copper pipe unless i cut it into 2 foot sections and thread it between the rafters/joists.

So nylon pipe would be perfect, i imagine it needs to be a certian type of nylon pipe? i'm using some nylon water pipe in my motorhome i'm building, this stuff is the same diamiter as the axminster stuff..15mm, not sure about hte thickness, but my pipe costs

78 pence per meter, whereas axminster want about a tenner for 1.5 meters,
Reply to
CampinGazz

I believe I'd try the stuff you are using on your motor home. PVC might through plastic shrapnel is what I guess would be the danger in it, but the nylon would hold together rather than splinter.If the cheap stuff didn't work then it would be an inexpensive lesson.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Please also post this message in rec.crafts.metalworking

There have been many discussions about compressed air piping, and there are many people with hands-on experience.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I'll bite and jump in PVC an Nylon are a world away in terms of their chemistry. PVC is more like Vinyl siding and Nylon more like what your wife wears on her legs. Nylon probably won't splinter the same as PVC. I would think "Nylon" pipe would be a flexible pipe. And I definitely would have a grounding system on the pipe, Nylon is extremely easy to charge. As for "is my water pipe different than my air pipe?" Yes almost always. Air is a different property than water and most water pipes won't build up

150-200 psi (if it did it would hurt like anything when you ran the shower). Ok that is my deduction.
Reply to
Young_carpenter

There is a plastic pipe sold in the US specifically for compressed air use. It is _not_ PVC pipe, which is dangerous and illegal to use for compressed air. This stuff is usually colored green and is made from ABS. Chem-Aire is one brand name. It is much more expensive than PVC pipe. It is not compatible with some synthetic compressor oils. I don't know if this pipe is available in England.

A forklift driver at work broke one of these green plastic air lines a while back. It did not throw shrapnel like a PVC pipe would have.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

We use a type of plastic pipe on the printing presses in our plant, this is 1/4" ID and up to 90 PSI, it is usually black and semi rigid, depending on the supplier, when it blows it is usually just a pin hole that you can hear hissing.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

(BTW, I really don't know, but I'd be surprised if the plastic pipe that's suitable for compressed air is nylon. It might be a polyethylene or polypropylene, though.)

The key is in the differences in volume under pressure and under no pressure. Under even 120 psi, water compresses very, very little. So, when water expands due to a breach in PVC pipe, it doesn't move far before all the pressure is released. OTOH, when gas is compressed to 120 psi, it occupies only a fraction of its zero-pressure volume. When the pipe fails, the gas rapidly expands back to its original volume, taking shards of PVC along for the ride.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Use rubber hose where you need flexibile pipe, probably cheaper than nylon.

mike

Reply to
mike

Reply to