death and taxes and tools

I don't have any kids, and was wondering if there are any good charities out there that would benefit from a donation of shop equipment in the event of my "untimely demise." I was wondering if there were any other child-free people out there or people who have kids who wouldn't be remotely interested in their old planes and what not......I suppose in the long run, they'd end up on the bench of someone who liked them, but I often wonder about that. I think one of the things I love about old tools in general is that each one has an unknown story behind it, and each one was owned by someone in the past who probably liked (or cursed!) the tool the same way you do.

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote in news:DQicd.706748$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

  • Habitat for Humanity, who builds and/or rehabs housing stock for new owners
  • Christmas in April, (they have a new name now, I think), who help people already in homes with repairs & rehabs
  • a local woodworking club, who can manage the disposal auction, and direct the proceeds..
  • An adult ed program

It is said that old tools have a soul. The tools I have from previous generations have a certain feel about them I can't describe any other way.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

hand goes up.

um. um. yeah....

me! ME! pick me!!!!

Reply to
bridger

The same way "I" do? I sometimes wonder where my used tools have been, my Stanley #5 is a type 11, very very OLD! It's probably been all over the country in many hands, or passed down through the generations of one family, sold on eBay a few times, been through mjdtools a couple times, who knows.

I suggest any thrift shop that is a part of an organization that supports retarded and Down's Syndrome people and children, and paraplegic and quadriplegic peoples. The tools being couried by someone who knows how to price them, and makes sure that happens for the sale.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

There was one of the wreckers setting up a kids training school (Doug Stowe?), perhaps they could use them.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Do you have a brother or sister with kids? I'm in the same boat you are in, if I go early, my younger brother will have a bunch of stuff to play with, if longer, I plan to will things to any of my nieces or nephews that might care to have it.

Hope you manage to put a long lifetime of wear on your tools.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Mark: The Vietnam Veterans of America need tools, along with many other items.

Bob Schmall

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I already make a monetary contribution to that organization every year. I like that suggestion. I'll check into it, thanks

Reply to
mark