Dead dog?

This morning, my neighbor's dog was wandering around in my yard. That's not really unusual, he jumps the fence a lot and since my dogs like playing with his, I just put him in the back yard and went into the house to leave a message on his owner's answering machine so he can be picked up tonight.

Apparently, I didn't close the door to my shop all the way. When I came out, the door was wide open and I got inside just in time to see the neighbor's dog lift his leg on my almost-finished project, an

8-foot custom oak bookshelf for my wife.

My first thought was "where's my axe and how do I make this look like an accident."

Luckily, I already had two coats of stain and a coat of poly on it and was about to put the second coat of poly on today, so there was no damage done. It got wiped off, I sprayed some odor remover and I'm waiting to make sure there's no smell before I put on the second coat of poly.

Now I'm wondering if I should tell my wife or if it should be one of those "errors" that we, as woodworkers, know are there, but we don't talk about. ;)

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Never speak of this again...

Reply to
B a r r y

Agreed. If you tell her about it, she WILL smell it forever.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Maybe even a 3rd coat? Tom

Reply to
tom

Yeah, probably best. I heard back from the guy, he came home for lunch and then came to get the dog and apologized all over the place, but there was no harm done, so no harm, no foul. It's still a good dog, I just have to remember to keep the door shut tightly when he's around.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

It could be worse... when I was a kid, we had this neighbor with a handful of hound dogs that got into our house on Christmas Day and mauled our Christmas turkey. We ended up having Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

fah-rah-rah-rah-rah...

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I agree...and next time you are over at the neighbor's house, you know what to do. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Expanding on what Joe said earlier, don't forget to make sure your neighbor never mentions it either. If you clam up but then the neighbor blurts out something to your wife, there's no amount of Urine-Gone that will make her not smell dog pee forever.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

| Luckily, I already had two coats of stain and a coat of poly on it | and was about to put the second coat of poly on today, so there was | no damage done. It got wiped off, I sprayed some odor remover and | I'm waiting to make sure there's no smell before I put on the | second coat of poly.

Hmm. I think I'd be tempted to put the third coat on the /dog/.

| Now I'm wondering if I should tell my wife or if it should be one of | those "errors" that we, as woodworkers, know are there, but we don't | talk about. ;)

Nooooo! (Tell her what? Did we miss something?)

Morris Dovey

It could be worse... when I was a kid, we had this neighbor with a handful of hound dogs that got into our house on Christmas Day and mauled our Christmas turkey. We ended up having Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

fah-rah-rah-rah-rah...

Joe Barta

Joe, Was your turkey still alive at this point of time?

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

LOL...

Reply to
Locutus

No, it was almost completely cooked. Mom had taken it out of the oven and set it on the table for a minute. At the same time, I had accidentally shot myself in the eye with the BB gun I had just gotten for Christmas. Needless to say, I couldn't tell Mom I just shot my eye out, because that's what she had been worrying about all along. I told her that an icicle had fallen off the house and hit me in the face.

Anyhow, I'm getting off track. While mom was tending to me, the dogs got into the house and got at the turkey while it was sitting on the kitchen table. In a matter of seconds the mostly cooked turkey was torn apart by those damn dogs.

Interestingly, Dad noticed that the dogs had come in through the FRONT door, yet it was the BACK door that was left open. That's been a family mystery ever since.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Oh that? That was no big deal, I forgot all about it.

Reply to
Wayne K

Oh, she is going to smell it alright... Just don't tell her what it is that she smells.

Reply to
Leon

Joe Barta wrote: > It could be worse... when I was a kid, we had this neighbor with a

Sounds like a Christmas Story to me. Is that Christmas of yours still available on DVD or do I have to wait until next Christmas season to buy it?

Are you really that little kid with the glasses and the foul mouth?

Tom in KY, Joe's pulling your leg guys, somebody find his medication.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

I'm not sure you understand. If she's never told, she probably won't smell anything. More than likely, there will be nothing to smell.

But... if you tell her... and she's a typical female... she will know that some dog peed on her (whatever it was) and she will probably THINK she smells it. The smell will be stronger if it was kitchen furniture and stronger still if it was bedroom furniture.

You could douse it in bleach, burn it, irradiate it, nuke it and put it in the desert for 20 years.... bring it back into the house and it will still be stuck in her craw that some dog peed on it and she can STILL smell it!

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Of course it's a Christmas Story. It happened on Christmas, duh.

I have no idea.

I did wear glasses back then, but I rarely had a foul mouth. Dad was another story... boy did my old man have a mouth. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Did your Dad once win a lamp that closely resembled a ladies leg? I believe it was Italian, Right? It said FRAGILE(frajeelee) right?

Pleeeeeeease Mr. Barta, take your medication :-)

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Not to mention, if your neighbor slips, you would have to hear from your wife (from time to time) that you had neglected to tell her such an important thing. Add to that, trying to explain WHY you neglected to tell her might be a little dicey.

In all seriousness though, if your wife is one of those rare and rational troopers, then by all means tell her. With the right woman, the truth is always the way to go. [Did I say that??]

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

ROFLMAO