DAP 33 or Acrylic glazing compound?

I'm preparing to set some glass pane into wooden frames. The glass panes are

10x12, and the frame is for a fixed basement windows. I have on my shelf a bucket of DAP '33 Window Glazing Compound, and a tube of Ace Window Glazing which is some sort of acrylic compound. My question is, which is better, or does it matter? The only difference I know of is that the DAP takes a few weeks to dry before you can paint it, where the Ace acrylic stuff can be painted the next day.
Reply to
Zootal

------------------------ Does DAP have a tech service group with an 800 #?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

DAP has a product technical bulletin at

lists a contact number at 800-543-3840

There's a description of Ace 35-year siliconized acrylic caulk at

Ace 35-year siliconized acrylic caulk can be covered with latex paint, while the DAP requires an oil-based primer or oil-based exterior paint.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Post over at alt.home.repair, too, for a possibly greater diversity of opinions. For what it's worth, *my* opinion is that *any* brand of window glazing compound is better than DAP. The best I've ever used is S&T (carried only at *some* Tru-Value Hardware stores, AFAIK), but Ace is pretty good too. Either one is way ahead of DAP.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The original compound for setting windows was putty. DAP 33 is a BIG improvement on putty, both in working properties and in shelf life, and I've always liked working with it. It's a good substitute for traditional putty in addition to holding glass well.

I thought the tube-type glazing compounds were not used in the same way as putty, though; do you actually work them into a bevel in contact with the came?

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't know, never used the stuff in a tube. I always used the stuff that comes in a pint plastic tub (not tube). Ace or S&T, but not DAP. Used that DAP CRAP on one pane -- never again.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote: ...

Last time I looked (admittedly some few years ago) the Ace-branded was packaged for them by...you guessed it--DAP

--

Reply to
dpb