Clear Acrylic Glazing

Hi all. I've just seen screwfix's Clear Acrylic Glazing stuff. How feasible is this as a glazing alternative? Is double glazing achievable (leaving aside the vacuum factor) ?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

About the same as perspex/polycarbonate. Fine as long as you don't expect to look through it after a few weeks.

There is no vacuum factor in double glazing, not since the early 60's

Reply to
EricP

Does the surface of AG deteriorate very much?

I have 5 double glazed units to purchase in the near future and I fear it will be quite expensive to buy them all at the same time. So this AG might do for a few months while I can replace 1 or more panels each month.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Why do a better jo and get your wife to get some really good lined an interlined curtains.

With single glazing they do a better job than double glazing on its own, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have been thinking that the other windows in the house are dg so I want avoid condensation which I assume would collect if single glazing is used on the door frame. Will also provide better sound insulation.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Acrylic(s) become brittle with UV and weather. As most clear plastics do. Cleaning the outside may well prove a problem if dust/debris and rain leave surface dirt as most plastics scratch easily.

IME as others have said unless you need to reduce noise as well as heat loss I would save for the units if requiring double glazed or use a quality glass for single glazing.

Reply to
RW

Perspex is acrylic sheet. I've used it as a glazing maaterial and it was still crystal clear 20 years after I put it up. Polycarbonate needs a UV protection coaat to stop it yellowing if used outside, but I have a couple of internal windows made from it that are still good, having been put up in

1990.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar