Mold in DAP Spackling Paste

I bought some DAP CrackSHOT Spackling Paste a few months ago. It been stored indoors.

I recently found something dark green growing on the surface. I scooped the bad material out.

Anyone had that happen? I am thinking of mixing in a small amount of bleach.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

Only in containers that have been opened and then stored.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote in news:do6dnUtxh68nVafXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

@n4g2000vba.googlegroups.com...

OP: Same goes for drywall mudd.

Reply to
Red Green

Ditto with the above posts...I'm not sure what effect bleach will have on the mud as far as bonding , strength , ect...I'd just toss it out...Joint compound should not be stored for extended periods of time...Buy a smaller container next time...

Reply to
benick

2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Thanks.

I have a large container of sheetrock compound that is a year old with no mold or fungus on it. Different brand may be the reason.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C2ECEF7CC339RedGreen@

216.168.3.70:

p.s. I've had mudd that happened to and even though there was not a vast amount of black, it had one of the foulest oders I've personally come across. Take a toilet hole over it any day.

I read someplace that if you want to try to avoid stuff from developing on it, get the mudd in the bucket flat then dump in water until there's a very thin layer on top. Just mix it in when you reopen. No personal experience trying this though.

Reply to
Red Green

Thanks.

I have a large container of sheetrock compound that is a year old with no mold or fungus on it. Different brand may be the reason.

Andy

Really...In 20 odd years in the drywall trade I've never seen mud that is ANY good stored that long mold or no mold and I have seen Sheetrock brand mold once in a bucket I forgot about in the cellar...I bet the bucket you have the mud has seperated and the top is covered with clear syrup and is the rest is hard unless you added a little water and re-mixed every couple of months...Try to use it...LOL...

Reply to
benick

I was at my mom's house yesterday and did find a bucket of sheetrock compound in the garage.

My brother last used it about 2 years ago and it was separated like you said, but was still mixable.

Storage temps in the garage often went to about 105 degrees F. (Houston, Texas)

I was impressed that it had not completely dried out.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

I was at my mom's house yesterday and did find a bucket of sheetrock compound in the garage.

My brother last used it about 2 years ago and it was separated like you said, but was still mixable.

Storage temps in the garage often went to about 105 degrees F. (Houston, Texas)

I was impressed that it had not completely dried out.

Andy

I've TRIED remixing it to but it wasn't the same...It still felt slimey and kinda slid on the wall and I was afraid it wouldn't bond...It's to cheap to chance it considering the mess it could cause down the road re-doing it and having to re-paint...LOL...Buy the 1 gallon bucket this time and toss out the old mud ..Clean the pail and you'll have a bucket for tools or whatever...LOL...

Reply to
benick