Best glazing compound?

What is the best glazing compound for wood windows in Southern California? What is the best way to remove the old dried compound? What is the best way to install the new compound?

I think I have read or seen on TV that it is best to prime the wood before installing the new compound. Is this true? Is it true with all compounds? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Use a heat gun to soften it and it comes out easily. Use a shield of some kind to keep from heating the glass too much, or it might crack.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Google (groups) is your friend. Use it! Found this under "best glazing" search:

Remove the glass, clean out the mullions, and reset the glass in a bed of silicone. Use just enough silicone to ensure the glass is sealed, but no more, as you'll have excess all over when you press the glass in. Let dry overnight, and glaze with Dap's 1012 glazing. It's made for this purpose.

Reply to
Roger