cutting though 18 gauge nails?

I need to make a cut that might go through 1 or 2 little nails. I am not sure yet if I will be using a TS or a circular saw, but I think either should go through an 18 gauge nail easily enough, shouldn't it?

I have accidentally gone through finishing nails before, once damaging the blade, but those are a lot bigger. Whatcha think?

Reply to
Toller

| I need to make a cut that might go through 1 or 2 little nails. | I am not sure yet if I will be using a TS or a circular saw, but I | think either should go through an 18 gauge nail easily enough, | shouldn't it? | | I have accidentally gone through finishing nails before, once | damaging the blade, but those are a lot bigger. Whatcha think?

Table saw, carbide blade, safety glasses, stay out of the line of cut. I've cut 10d nails by accident. I slowed the feed immediately I saw the first spark, removed and inspected the blade immediately after the cut (It was my best 100T carbide blade) and found no damage.

I decided I didn't really need to recycle pallet wood after that. It'd have been a pretty expensive "free" board if I had damaged the blade...

Morris Dovey

Is this for a furniture piece? Can you get by with using a cheapo $10 blade? Can you create new pieces? Is this plywood or solid wood.. because a cheap blade might splinter your plywood veneer.

I've cut through finishing nails several times while trying to salvage trim, but I used an inexpensive blade. A carbide type blade will go through, no problem. I wouldn't risk a $100 blade though.

Reply to
bf

There are "nail cutting" blades available for handheld circular saws, but for a one-time cut, I would just use a regular carpenter quality blade. 18 gauge brads are pretty thin, I can't picture one or two damaging a blade, but I wouldn't intentionally cut them with by best blades.

Reply to
lwasserm

Depending on the size of the nails, the quality of the blade, and the number of teeth on the blade you will end up with varied results. For example, a high quality carbide 100 tooth blade will suffer just a little damge cutting a 18ga brad. But say a lower quality blade of 20 teeth cutting a 16d common will suffer a great deal.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

I have a bunch of blades I got at a garage sale that are disposable. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some safety hazzard to it; but all say no. thanks

Reply to
Toller

18 gauge, no problem. Just use a cheap carbide blade. I cut flooring underlayment with a circular saw and hit staples and nails all day long. I even cut concrete boards on the TS with a cheap blade, much harder than hitting a few nails.
Reply to
# Fred #

"Toller" wrote in news:RV9Hg.8234$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

No big deal. If you know you are going to be cutting a nail go very slow. I have cut nails lengthwise with no damage to the blade. Go too fast and you risk knocking the carbide teeth off.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

And the sparks are real purty, too! BTDT

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in news:dcadb$44f3a684$cef892a7$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM: