cutting slots in plywood

Hello I would appreciate some advice on cutting slots in plywood. The ply is

1/4" thick, 4" wide & 4 feet long. I have around a dozen to do. I would like 1/4"slots 2" across the width every 8". The best way I can think of doing it is to very carefully mark out one piece of ply & cut the slots with a router and use that piece as a template for the rest. Perhaps some one has a better idea. Is there a giant dovetail jig maybe

Thanks

Reply to
technical123

Table saw with a dado blade, and a quality fence with an accurate rule would make this easy. If it was me, I'd cut the grooves first and then rip the smaller pieces from it.

One question though, if you cut a 1/4" slot on a 1/4" thick piece of wood, it's not really a slot anymore, is it?

Reply to
jo

I could not think of a better word than slot but thanks for the dado blade idea. Would be much easier than a router. Thanks again

Reply to
technical123

No it wouldn't. Less accurate, too. Use your dado to make one of these.

Click as requested for demonstration photos.

Reply to
George

Your website is broken. The link to demo the jig is not working.

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

The piece is only 4" wide and the desired slots are 2" across this 4" width. The dado blade would probably be one of the more cumbersome methods for this need. It would leave lots of hand work finishing both ends of each slot and would really only clean out a very small amount of each slot. A simple jig for the router table would work much better and would accomplish the task of cutting a slot in one pass with a 1/4" straight cutter.

Why not? Is a slot defined in some way that would make this inappropriate? To me a slot can be clear through as well as only partially through.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes.

todd

Reply to
todd

Hmmmmm. New to me then. Here's what one definition for slot is...

A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a vending machine; a mail slot.

I was not aware of any specific definition for it in woodworking. I would have used the same term as the OP. So - enlighten me... what is the woodworking definition of slot and what would have been a more appropriate term?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Are you cutting 2" in from the edge, or 2" centered in the middle?

If you're cutting in from the edge, you could put your workpiece up on edge in front of a backer board, then use a 1/4" dado set raised 2" high.

If you're cutting in the middle of the board, then the router is likely your best bet and you could use something like this as a guide:

Chris Friesen

If there's not a big hook attached to this post, then here's one solution to the question. No mention as to the quality of the results was asked for. Cut all of the pieces to size, stack all twelve pieces, the work piece is now 4 inches wide, 4 feet long and 3 inches thick, mark the top one for your slots, drill both ends of the marks with a 1/4 inch drill bit and cut out the center with a jig saw.

Reply to
couillion

My reading of the original post is that he has 1/4" ply and wants to cut a

1/4" deep "slot". I suspect that you have interpreted it differently.

todd

Reply to
todd

I used my RAS to make the dentil detail on this table.

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=45b2&.dnm=f4d2.jpg&.src=ph

The cuts are one inch apart, 1/8" deep. I made a mark on the RAS table and moved each "slot" to the mark to cut the next "slot. You could do the same using a miter saw. Or do it on a table saw.

Max

Reply to
Max

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=45b2&.dnm=f4d2.jpg&.src=ph

Oh, Oh. I just read some of the other posts. The slots are *through* the plywood. I would go with a router and a set up like Chris posted.

Max

Reply to
Max

Perhaps. Here's a crude depiction of how I understood it...

--------- | -------- | | -------- | | -------- | | -------- | | -------- | | -------- |

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The original poster's reference to a "giant dovetail jig" made me think he meant something like this:

---------- | | | ----- | | | ----- | | | ----- | | | ----- | | | ----- | | | ----- | |

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com entity posted thusly:

As you can see from the various replies to your post, it pays to describe the problem in specifics, rather than generalities.

From the description you gave, the slots might be through the work or not, starting at one side or centred across the width. Assumptions abound when you don't describe fully.

What are the pieces for? (just curious)

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Maybe he means holes 1/4" wide, 2" in length and spaced every 8"...??

Reply to
Joe

The slots are two inches in from one side. They do not have to be absolutely precise but cutting through all twelve strips at once with a jigsaw would be too far out. If you have tried to cut a straight line in three inch wood with a jigsaw you will know what I mean.

Reply to
technical123

After reading all the responses, its clear that its unclear and frustrating.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Use the same technique as for cutting squared box-joints. That is, cut the first then use a "pin" [width of the first cut] for a guide for the rest.

Reply to
Guess who