Screw slots

Shirley Conran wrote "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom", but how important are screw slots?

If you want to be very fussy and align the screw slots on switch faceplates, sockets, etc., should they be vertical or horizontal?

(It's Sunday morning and I'm bored, trying to work out which job to do first)

Reply to
Ramsman

Torx...

Reply to
polygonum

He's done with torxing and now wants slots to screw.

Reply to
Richard

Isn't there a song about that in South Pacific? Happy Torx?

Anyway, my angle grinder's too big to cut new head shapes. Even the Dremel won't do it.

Reply to
Ramsman

I think Andy Hall used to prefer horizontal.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No one knows less about these things than I, but I would have thought that the angle of the slot would be determined by the screw being tightened just the right amount. I.e., it is not something the wielder of the screwdriver determines.

Reply to
Peter Percival

Vertical. There is no other way. Trust me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's plenty of latitude in tightening, probably a few turns between "That's just tight enough to stop it being loose" and "Bugger!".

Reply to
Ramsman

That's what I usually do. I just wanted to see if there would be confirmation that doing it upright was the better way or whether there were people preferring the horizontal position.

Reply to
Ramsman

If you want your slots vertical, wouldn't that be longitude?

Reply to
polygonum

It has to be horizontal. But if you plan to take time to do this, its time to seriously reevaluate your life. Go visit the 3rd world and see how people live.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I always prefer the horizontal position for a screw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it makes that much difference to you, you will already have your own preference, and quite probably be so obsessional about it that you will growl at anybody who dares to suggest the opposite is preferable.

Personally, I go with "tight, but not too tight" as being the optimum.

Reply to
Adrian

Vertical - catches less dust ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well firstly fit a crinkle washer under each. If you do not do this then the screws will come loose and the switch rattle about. What does one do with the ones with cross head screws in them though?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

seriously reevaluate your life. Go visit the 3rd world and see how people live.

It must be gratifying to know that the money you spent on pomposity lessons wasn't wasted.

Try "How to prevent a total loss of a sense of humour" next.

Reply to
Ramsman

And "A Cockeyed Optimist" - so maybe any way you like except vertical horizontal?

Reply to
polygonum

The site manager on all new Lidel stores insisted on brass slotted screws. He insisted that the slot be vertical. Reason - they don't collect water. He was on of the biggest bastards I have ever met in all of my life.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

to seriously reevaluate your life. Go visit the 3rd world and see how people live.

Pompous to suggest there are more productive things to do in this world? Pardon me for getting real.

Reply to
meow2222

I prefer a knee trembler. Only in my dreams mind

Reply to
stuart noble