Cutting dados for thin shelves

Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to replace a = similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle boar= d sides with 1/16"=B1 shelves dado-ed every 1/2". The shelves were able to= slide. I would like to re-use the shelves since they are thin and I canno= t find similar thin particle board. Home Depot had masonite slightly fatte= r than 1/8 inch.

Anyway, the cabinet failed because the dado cuts broke through. I am conte= mplating using plywood for the new cabinet. Advise needed: =20

1)What's a good grade of plywood for strength after cutting dados? 2)Should I laminate 1/8" masonite onto the the 3/4" ply. and make cut the d= ados through the masonite for strength and wear?

Note, this is not furniture, simply storage. I have over 20,000 song title= s collected over the years and want to organize prior to my demise. All su= ggestions appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2". The shelves were able to slide. I would like to re-use the shelves since they are thin and I cannot find similar thin particle board. Home Depot had masonite slightly fatter than 1/8 inch.

contemplating using plywood for the new cabinet.

dados through the masonite for strength and wear?

collected over the years and want to organize prior to my demise. All suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
tiredofspam

On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:57:10 AM UTC-7, tiredofspam wrote: You do not need to face with

Hi Tiredofspam, You are absolutely right. The front is exactly where the cabinet failed. I definitely will use solid wood 'rails' for the front and back. Thanks, excellent suggestion. I never would have thought of it.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2". The shelves were able to slide. I would like to re-use the shelves since they are thin and I cannot find similar thin particle board. Home Depot had masonite slightly fatter than 1/8 inch.

contemplating using plywood for the new cabinet.

dados through the masonite for strength and wear?

collected over the years and want to organize prior to my demise. All suggestions appreciated.

Look for Baltic Birch plywood, a real lumber yard is going to be your best bet. This plywood has many thin ply's, typically 9 for 1/2" material, and is all hard wood.

Reply to
Leon

'Hardwood' is overkill. These 'shelves' aren't going to either carry significant weight, or be moved in/out frequently. Even a pine inset would work. Or has been suggested a 'face' strip.

If you want really 'easy-sliding' shelves, consider using either strips of HDPE (or UHMW) in the top/bottom of the slots, or an inset block.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi