Cutting Board Completed, 1 of 6

The bottom, beveled on all bottom edges to add a raised area for easily picking up the board. Also a clear 1/8" x 1/2" cabinet door bumper in each corner recessed 3/64"

The business side. Precipitants will be responsible for adding the oil/finish of choice.

Thoughts before I add the finishing touches to the remaining 5? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Beautiful, with nice touches...

Reply to
Swingman

Nice work. Once oiled it will look even better

May I make a suggestion? On the back, route a groove between inlays. It could then double as a game to roll frozen peas around and stay on a certain path. You could race peas and blueberries.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you..

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I can't wait to oil the one that I intend to keep.

What are you smokin? ROTFL ;~)

Reply to
Leon

My only added thought is I think that round corners maybe more durable than square corners. The oval cutting board I made 35 years ago still sees daily use. It's not as fancy as yours, of course--just the "high school classic".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My thoughts certainly can't improve on YOUR work! It's not just a cutting board, but a nice piece of elegant kitchen furniture.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Now I know what the grooves are for on the back of a couple of my benches.

krw

Are the top edges square or did you chamfer/round them a wee tad?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thank you.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

I ran the finish sander down the edges at a 45 degree angle back and forth one time.

Reply to
Leon

You're going to allow people to *cut* things on that????

My I live long enough and learn fast enough to be as nonchalant about work like that. If I built those I wouldn't let anything sharper than a spoon get near it.

Can I assume you (repeatedly) cut curves and clamped and glued thin strips in-between the mating parts? And who (or what) are these "precipitants" anyway?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I made some fancy boards a few years back. Of the four I gave as gifts, only one has seen real work. The others are displayed in the kitchen, but the recipients think they are too nice to use. Use them already! That is why I made them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We got one last night, as a Christmas present from Leon.

Yep, we suck!

Let me tell you, the photos do not do it justice. The details are crisp and beautifully executed. One of those pieces of woodworking excellence that to just touch is an absolute delight.

This ain't no cutting board, it's a museum piece. If this one gets used as a cutting board it will be with a one of these (temporarily) to protect it:

'Bout the only word that does it justice is "elegant".

Thanks, Leon!!

Reply to
Swingman

;~) If you can't use it, what use is it?

That is the basic procedure but this video will explain all of the steps.

Instead of a planer to smooth the faces of the veneer cut on the BS I used my drum sander.

I also used my drum sander to remove the part of the veneered pieces that stood proud of the cutting board surface after each glue up instead of removal with a router and scraper.

And who (or what) are these

Crap! Recipients.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! LOL. It is twice the value if you use it too!

Reply to
Leon

Now you are reminding me those people that put clear textured vinyl covers on your car seats and furniture. ;~)

Once was enough buddy. But thank you back for the kind words.

Oh, if you oil it, post pictures.

Reply to
Leon