Cut off your finger? Sue

Two questions:

  1. Did SawStop fund this guys legal fight?

  1. What do regular folks do when they want to sell there table saw to upgrade?

This decision blows!

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:26:15 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

How do I word this softly? "I can't wait for some idiot to get hurt on his SawStop saw to prove that they can't keep idiots from hurting themselves."

How about new legislation, mandating that "any lawyer who loses a frivial case has to suffer that malady he was ranting about"?

(frivial = trivial + frivolous)

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So lets see, the inventor of Saw Stop is a Patent Attorney and gets bored with not making money with his chosen career. Dreams up this idea of a Table Saw that can stop the blade on contact with flesh. Tries to push this new tech. on Saw Manufactures and fails. Decides to start his own Table Saw Manufacture. I would imagine sales are decent but not decent enough for the inventor so decides to lobby for this new tech. on every table saw built today. If the millionaire wins he becomes a billionaire. Somehow I get the feeling this was the plan when he started the patent process. Now that's what I call a "Great Business Plan", at of course the expense of Table Saw Manufactures and Table Saw users all over the world!!!!

And of course Congress will probably go along with it, since they see the US citizen as dumb asses with the need to nanny state everything.

You can lead them to LINUX but you can't make them THINK ! Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3 Website:

Evodawg

Now *there* is a suit. They're advertising that they will protect you from yourself!

Wouldn't that be trialous? ;-)

Reply to
keithw86

On 08 Mar 2010 22:47:58 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) scrawled the following:

I sure hope not. The McDonalds coffee case was by the judge and Mickey D's paid only her medical fees. They shouldn't have been forced to pay anything. The old biddy should have jumped out of the car and waved her hot clothes in the air to instantly cool them, preventing the majority of the burns. That's what we do...er, would do if that ever happened, right?

As usual. It's disgusting. My next door neighbor just lost her defense of her land from a rich neighbor who wanted it. There are still squatter's rights here in OR and even though the rich neighbor couldn't prove that she'd been using the land for 10 years, she had friends swear that she had and the judge gave it to her.

Friends, our legal, penal, political, and medical systems are severely broken. Is it time to do more than brew tea?

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:02:46 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

I think I left the word "remittitured" out of my last post on this subject. (had to look it up and forgot to go back) The judge seriously reduced the award, giving her only her medical costs, legal costs, and a tiny sum which is not to be discussed openly.

CONgresscritters should start out their careers with a 2-year stretch of hard time in a maximum-security pen. Those who survive might be a bit better grounded on the necessities of life.

The Constitution also should have stated that "Anyone who _seeks_ to be in office shall never be allowed to do so." The Founders were all hesitant obligers, and that turned out very well. Look what we have now! Disgusting.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:35:12 -0600, the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" scrawled the following:

Better yet, if you go drink a fifth of bourbon before using the saw, you can sue both the distillery and the sawmaker, you wonderful guy!

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:27:34 -0600, the infamous "ChairMan" scrawled the following:

Attorneys are the anti-chlorine in our gene pool.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:36:44 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Remember the video of the guy doing freehand cuts on the big bandsaw, ending up with a reindeer at the end? I was in mortal fear of his fingers the whole way.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Imagine the Far Side cartoon showing a horde of Vikings storming the castle. Arrows are flying, boiling oil being poured, swords vs. axes on the ramparts, and on the top of the nearest scaling ladder: "Not a Step!"

Reply to
HeyBub

...I don't use a guard on my Skilsaw(s), because that's how I was taught and have vast experience with. I don't let anyone else use my Skilsaw(s) unless they're equally experienced. Sam Maloof used his bandsaw in the same manner, and cautioned his audience similarly, too. Times change, though, and soon enough there will be fewer and fewer of us Dinos...but you'll be able to use my Powermatic 66 *long* after I'm gone...cut and count will be around for awhile yet...

AFA Mr. Osario...too bad you took that first puff...

gc

Reply to
Chasgroh

McDonalds was serving their coffee at a much higher temperture than the industry standard. While you'd expect to get a minor burn from spilling hot coffee on yourself in this case it was a certainty that she would receive severe burns and would not have if they followed the standard.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Plus, apparently, McD's had been warned several times or sued before about it or something like that, and that's why the judge ruled in favor of the lady.

Also, while we think the amount was ridiculous, the way the judge came up with it, was to calculate the a single day's coffee sales for McD's. It's akin to fining a MLB player $20,000 for doing something wrong. It's less than they make for a single at bat.

Reply to
-MIKE-

This is a lie that has been handed down for ages. The coffee was served at a customary serving temperature (180F). Dunkin' Donuts served coffee at *exactly* the same temperature (their spec was 180F

+/- 3F) at the time.

BS. You don't want burns, don't put a cup of coffee between your legs.

Reply to
keithw86

Bullshit. There is in fact a published standard and it calls for coffee being served at the temperature McDonalds uses.

The lawyers went around and found some crappy diners and the like that served lukewarm coffee and claimed that that was some kind of "standard".

Some years later there was a lawsuit initiated against Bunn-O-Matic, the company that makes the coffee makers used by McDonalds and just about every other restaurant in the US and they trotted out the published standard and that was the end of that suit.

And I'm sure that any liability lawyer would be more than happy to have a gullible fool like you in his jury pool.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They had been sued. They had not been "warned". Are you suggesting that someone bringing suit in and of itself constitutes evidence of wrongdoing?

The woman came to grief because of her own stupidity. McD was following published industry standards.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The safety feature was pitched to major saw manufacturers by Gass, but according to SawStop, licensing negotiations broke down and no agreements were reached...

Could he not sue Sawstop yet, for the broken down negotiations. After all, this is probably the main reason other manufacturers aren't offering flesh-detecting technology.

Reply to
Barb/Bob Alexander

If you come up with something idiot proof, they'll just come up with better idiots.

Reply to
CW

The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so ingenious...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You're right in that it wasn't a standard. I studied this case in college and it's been a while so the details were fuzzy. McDonald's coffee was 185 +/- 5 degrees. I forget the exact numbers we used but we calculated the results, using an admittedly oversimplified model, and there was a drastic difference in the severity of the burn and length of time it took to get there. If you were at the high end 190 it was much worse than the low end of 180. If you used the lower temperature of 150-160, whatever it was, it was only borderline second degree burns instead of third degree burns.

Most people wouldn't expect to receive third degree burns requiring skin grafts and years of treatment to recover. People blamed her not removing the pants as the source of the problem but the analysis showed that there was nothing she could have done about it. The jury did find her partially to blame, though I do think most of the blame rested on her.

The point is that this case is always trotted out as the worst example but it's not as cut and dry as it is presented. I have a hard time believing there's as good of a story to back up the fellow that wants the safety feature from a $3000 saw on his $100 Ryobi.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin