Cut off your finger? Sue

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I'd be curious to know if he was free handing cuts at the time... If so he certainly wouldn't be the first flooring guy to guide wood through the blade sans fence or miter gauge...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

By dint of name alone, "lawyers" need little else be held against them... :)

A "licensing fee", and apparently nothing has changed with regard to same.

I'd say get used to it, because it's painfully obvious that that's the case.

Reply to
Swingman

Not to mention the lawyers' 30% (or greater) rake-off. They don't do those TV ads because they care about you...

Reply to
Steve

Almost assuredly not ... most flooring cuts are done on a miter saw, and for the next-to-wall rips, that type of saw is the choice of most flooring sub contractors in these parts. AAMOF, I've not seen a fence on a jobsite saw like that in years, and flooring crews normally don't even use the stand.

Reply to
Swingman

thinking about doing that for cross cuts gives me the heebie-jeebies.... for rips? Doesn't even bear thinking about. I mean, I guy could lose a finger doing tha.... wait, nevermind...

Reply to
Joe

When I'm doing flooring, I don't even bring the table/jobsite saw. I have a mitre saw for crosses and angles and my trusty bosch sabre saw for rips. Come to think of it, I use the bosch more and more for crosses as well. It saves getting up and making a trip to the saw stand.

Reply to
Joe

Ya think...??

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

LOL ... like the Forrest blade guys at the WW shows, using one of those little table top saws for demoing paper thin cuts, on a 2"x4"x6" slab of hardwood, freehand.

What are they gonna do now? :)

Reply to
Swingman

Except for one glaringly wrong statement...

"... SawStop, a technology company that invented a table saw tech that senses capacitance of a finger and immediately stops the blade....have been active in mandating this technology across all table saws. The problem, of course, is that they aren't doing this out of good will - they want to license it and make a fortune. Quite simply, SawStop wants to legislate itself into millions.

While I wholeheartedly agree they shouldn't be trying to "legislate itself into millions," to say they should do it out of good will is absurd.

The act of inventing the technology in and of itself is "good will" enough. They should be able to make a billion dollars from it. As long as their business practices are fair and ethical, no one should complain one iota about it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:LImdndm-x7Tw5gjWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The only time it would make sense is if a safety feature failed due to some defect. The saw in question didn't have the feature, so it couldn't have failed. Since Ryobi probably didn't make any claims of having the feature, the guy shouldn't have expected it to be there.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

As long as...

Having their (legitimate) patent monopoly made into an absolute monopoly by congress (or judge) isn't part of your "as long as", IMO. If they convince everyone that they need the technology, fine, the price will reflect the decision. Doing otherwise will effectively ban table saws until the patent expires.

Reply to
krw

I agree, but I think you may have missed the context.

Were you around here when they initially started out? At that point there was nothing but a 'jam it down your throat via government edict' mentality to the inventor's method of gaining acceptance for the technology.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an "Atlas Shrugged" altruism here. Acutally, I think the SS is a great innovation, and a boon to those having to use a TS for business or hobby ... AAMOF, I would buy one for my next saw given the opportunity.

I just simply don't like the nasty, and obvious, legal extortion machinations that have been involved in getting the technology accepted since the get go.

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry, John ... that should have been "Almost assuredly", the "not" was typed by the cat, apparently??

IOW, yeah, you're right ... that was most likely what he was doing (free handing the cut)

Reply to
Swingman

To you and KW... I clearly stated, "I wholeheartedly agree they shouldn't be trying to "legislate itself into millions."

Reply to
-MIKE-

Relax, just trying to dipstick your ken of the historical context.

Don't worry, they have NO history, whatsoever, of doing it out of simple "goodwill".

Reply to
Swingman

If they were trying to lobby for legislation to mandate the use of their product, at least they have a solution to a real problem, not the made-up BS that a certain former politician is trying to push down our throats to pad his pockets. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

So now when you buy a table saw you will have to sign a liability release that you understand that it doesn't have this safety device and the manufacuturers will have to offer safety classes which have been available at the better dealers. Its like the notices on generators in a dozen languages that says don't run them in your house. If you buy something it should be your responsibility to know what your getting into. If your operating equipment it should be the same.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Wouldn't surprise me seems to me they tried to get OSHA to cram it down everyones throat and it didn't fly.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

That ship sailed when the Stupid Old Bat successfully sued McDonalds for spilling coffee in her lap.

Until somebody shoots every lawyer in Congress and shoots the next batch that gets elected and keeps shooting them until no lawyer dares run for Congress that's not going to get fixed. Should have been in the Constitution--no person who has ever worked as a lawyer should be eligible for Congress.

Reply to
J. Clarke