How to cut 1cm off end of Ikea wooden blinds

I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them together using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which are about 1-2mm thick.

Reply to
jgkgolf

I did the same thing but used a jig saw which my brother in law had used before me on the same thing. The results in both cases was perfect. Not too sure about a hand saw though, unless you can saw very straight and neat.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Huh! you could file a 1cm off.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

But why when you can more easily saw it off?

Reply to
RedOnRed

When I done my engineering training I had to file a block of 2" steel to

1&6/8" square :-( ...Icm would be a doddle

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tape probably won't hold the slats together firmly enough - something like a drill vice is good if you pad the jaws with a bit of cardboard.

Reply to
Rob Morley

1&6/8" = engineering training = LOL -
Reply to
Mark

Explain yourself?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I presume he is stating that 1&6/8" is more commonly referred to as 1 & 3/4"

HTH

John

PS. I did the same 'project' as part of my engineering apprenticeship in the late 70's

Reply to
John

So what would he refer to if I said 1&5/8"?

Heh! so did I, about 75ish.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

All kinds of engineering are required. 'Big hammer' engineering is just as important as toolmaker 'you need a thou' off that width' - and you wouldn't pay for the latter to repair your car.

Reply to
John Cartmell

I trimmed a blind. I pressed the ends of the slats together and bound them securely together, no gaps, using masking tape. Then I marked out the cut and chopped off the excess. Make sure there is plenty of tape inboard of the cut so the slats do not fly apart as you cut, but make sure there is tape also over the area to be cut to prevent the top and bottom slats from splintering when sawn.

Finaly, I lacquered the ends using aerosol lacquer to prevent moisture ingress, as I feared the slats might twist if they weren't fully protected from moisture ingress.

Care is needed to get a good finish, and a final sanding of the cut end before lacquering is advisable too o get a decent appearance.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

That came later.

And just for you Mark if 1&6/8 was down on the work sheet then who am I to go to the powers that be and say...this should be 1&3/4"

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sorry I was being pedantic When I was at school you would never _ever_ dare write 1-6/8

1.750 perhaps.. :-) -
Reply to
Mark

Parcel tape tight and firmly held against bench hook or something similar and cut with fine tenon or dovetail saw

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Tape all together very tightly, clamp to bench and saw off with a cir saw (with a fine toothed blade), jigsaw or carefully with a hand saw

Or

Hammer and chisel!!

;-

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

The message from "Mark" contains these words:

It probably has no application in this instance but I have a (very) vague memory of a convention for unstated limits in which the nature of the units gave some guidance to the tolerances required in which case I would expect dimensioning in eighths would demand a closer tolerance than dimensioning in quarters.

Reply to
Roger

Ha!, When I were a lad, in filing school, they gave me steel bar and some files and told me to make a straight edge. Accurate to within 1 thou ( that's 1 thou everywhere, checked on a table with engineering blue).

Gosh, those were the days.... took me ages.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick

The finest cut that I personally have come across is one of those small "pull saws" takes a bit of getting used to, but boy does it cut fine... Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick

That's a project? I had to file a gauge to 3thou and then make a "c" clamp from a square or metal 1/2" thick including turning and threading the screw for my O level. I didn't realise engineering was being dumbed down like the rest of the GCSEs these days. ;-)

Reply to
dennis