Reinstating wall II

Thanks for the advice recently on re-making a wall up to the RSJ support.

Haven't yet decided on brick or stud partition, but if the latter, what are the possibilities for fixing at the top to the RSJ? Am I allowed to drill into it? Can I just rely on the end-wall fixings or is that too unstable?

Thanks

Bart

Reply to
Bart C

You can drill it no problem and then either screw down into the heade plate or bolt the header up to it. Another, perhaps easier, way is t gripfill the plate to the flange, cut the studs to be a nice tight fi and hammer them into place, that will hold it OK. What size is the RS ? does it have a timber plate on top ? You will need to carry th plasterboard up past the rsj to ceiling level, if there is a plate o top of the rsj hopefully this is 4x2 and you can construct your stu wall in line with it and fix the top of the p/board to it. If there is no plate on top you can wedge timber blocks into the web o the rsj and fix to these, you will have to fiddle around to get it al to line up

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Gorra link, dopey?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

?

Sorry, thought my post contained enough info to define my problem, namely how to attach the top of a partition wall to an overhead RSJ:

My original post was:

bart

Reply to
Bart C

?

Sorry, thought my post contained enough info to define my problem, namely how to attach the top of a partition wall to an overhead RSJ:

My original post was:

bart

Reply to
Bart C

Normally just fixing the top plate at each end is ok. If you want to economise with a lightish wood, a tight fit will eliminate any tendency to vibrate on door slams. If you have to fix it to the RSJ, I'd at least consider a quality glue, as it would be far less work than drilling.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With a sharp HSS bit, drilling say a 7mm hole through the flange coul hardly be called difficult. You might need 5 holes and each woul probably take less than 30 seconds, so your talking about 3 minute work. I think I could mange that

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Absolutely. Look (or ask) at Jewson's to see what metalwork would be appropriate.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why didn't you post it to the original then you clot?

I've never heard of studwalls being fixed to RSJs. They are usually held in place by the ceiling boards butting up to them. When you build a frame you make it some 1/2" smaller so that you can slip it into place.

You might be asked to pack out the gaps to stop it bouncing or riding up off the floor -as will usually happen if the sole is just tacked to the flooring with nails. But most studs are put in with the heads loose as long as they meet abutting walls.

Why are you running it under the RSJ? If you run it up the side, you can plaster one wall with straight sheets all the way up. And you can put soldier grounds in the web of the RSJ to catch the studwork.

On the other side you can do the same with the soldiers to catch a strip of gyprock with a 1" overhang to take the next strip to box the RSJ, lipping it onto the sheets on the stud wall on that side.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Your talking out of your a**e again mate. Stud walls are often fixed t the undersides of RSJ's, i've done two in this last week. Its no difficult to drill a few holes and put some screws in. If you have the room you might build the wall flat on the floor an then stand it up but you would still pack it tight to the ceilin joists/RSJ and fix it, why wouldn't you ? Most studs are definately not put in with the heads loose. You would build the wall to the side of the RSJ, are you crazy or jus like doing thing the wrong way ? If you build it alongside then you going to have the RSJ boxed in along the ceiling line of one of th rooms, thats going to look so good, NOT. What is so difficult about building it beneath the steel, I dont ge it, all you have to do is perhaps drill a few holes or use som gripfill to fix the head and put some grounds in the web to take th sheets of plasterboard either side and the steel is lost forever. Lik I said you may need to fiddle around to get the grounds and studs t line up but how hard is that

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Because it was an old post and on this busy newsgroup would be far less visible than fresh posts.

That's an interesting way of doing it. Thanks.

Bart

Reply to
Bart C

And not only had you to box in both sides, you will have all that extra work to do for the boxing-in every time you decorate?

You deserve it mate. Well done.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What are you talking about? If the RSJ was put in to support a floo when the wall was taken out its only going to be 4" wide so it will b completely contained within the thickness of the stud work. Where i all the boxing in you keep cr**ping on about

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H