Crown Molding Error

I installed some crown molding over the weekend, and it went pretty well for my first time. However, I made one error on an butted inside corner, which was my first piece. I nailed the corner immediately, and then realized that I should have left it loose, so I can have some wiggle room when setting the coped piece onto it. For the rest of the CM, I left the butted ends loose until I got the coped piece up, and the corners came out beautifully. Live and learn.

Now, the top of butted piece in question is sitting about 1/4 forward on the ceiling, and the cope doesn't fit.

What's the best way to determine the correct saw setting to compensate? I experimented yesterday, and ended up in frustration and felt I was going in circles. Should I first set the saw at 31.6 and 33.8, and increase the miter and leave the bevel fixed? Will changing the bevel only affect the profile of the cut?

I may end up pulling the piece off, but I had to risk doing collateral damage and would prefer to find the right angle if I can come up with the correct methodology.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Practice on scrap until it fits; then cut the "real" molding.

David

Buck Turgids> I installed some crown molding over the weekend, and it went pretty well for

Reply to
David

There's always the "get a big hammer" method. Use a block of wood againt the top of the crown and wack it good with a hammer. This will push it in enough to allow for the right angle. Hell of a lot faster than trying to figure out the angle. DAMHIKT.

Gary (now I'll wait for the flames.....but it works!)

Reply to
GeeDubb

I have to agree with Gary on this one. A block of wood and a hammer is all you need to gently tap the crown into the correct position on the all. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

you may also use a punch to drive some of the nails through th CM first. makes for less hammer and more finness you can always renail after it fits.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics