Craftsman tools are just fine,

Well, that may be, but I have my own list:

1960s era 10" table saw. Original fence was a POS. I replaced it with a '90s Sears fence. Much better, but no Bies. Overall, usable, but just no comparison to my Uni. 1960s era jigsaw, er scrollsaw they call them now. POS. Oil filled crank shaft got oil on everything within 3'. 1972 saber saw, er, jigsaw they call them now. POS. Cranking down on one of the two screws to hold the blade (and you had to) cracked the casting. Couldn't make a square cut. No comparison to my Bosch. 1972 RAS. Okay, but no DeWalt and won't stay in alignment past a couple of bumps. 1972 belt sander. POS. Can't wait to replace it--just as soon as I have a need for a belt sander. 1972 router. The mother of all POS. It's when I discovered the ARHA "feature.". 1972 drill press. Usable, but developed a vertical slop in the quill that I cannot fix. No comparison to my Delta. 1974 bandsaw. Underpowered, underweight, undersized. No comparison to my Delta. 1975 jointer. POS never would line up right. You could make the infeed table coplanar with the outfeed, OR you could raise and lower the infeed table, but you couldn't do both. Need I say DJ20? 1980 lathe. Odd size Morse tapers and spindle thread. No comparison to my Delta.

Last summer my S-I-L bought one of their routers (Ryobi POS). Guess what? ARHA. I gave him a P-C 690 for Christmas.

That's 0 for 10 or 11 depending on how you score my S-I-L's router. You don't have to hit me over the head with a 2x4. I absolutely do get it. The lathe is the last Sears tool I will EVER buy; I don't care who makes them. I don't even trust that if Bosch makes their jigsaw it's the same jigsaw as Bosch's jigsaw.

One may ask, "why did you buy so many Sears tools if they were POS?" It's more or less a fair question, but basically back in the '70s there weren't any places to buy Deltas or Powermatics. Or not that I was aware of. Schools and professionals had them, but not us garage 'dorkers. And they commanded more of a premium over the Sears than they do today.

Shoot, because there was no Norm or Boob or David J. we average DIY guys hardly even knew those tools existed. We couldn't ask Jon Eakes. There was no Scott Phillips, no Ron Hazelton, no David Thiel. There was no Jet, no Chiwanese tools, no Harbor Freight (thank god). A lot of you guys don't realize how good we have it nowadays compared to then.

I don't even give the hand tools a pass anymore. Go to the borg and buy a Klein #2 Phillips screwdriver. Use it hard for a week. Then go get a Sears and use it hard for an hour. That's all it'll take. The wrenches are okay, but don't be convinced by the warranty. When Ace Hardware started warranting their Master Mechanic line of wrenches with the same warranty back in the '90s I figured it out. It's an actuarial thing, not a measure of tool quality. Just like rebates. Practically everyone warrants their wrenches for life, now.

Want to call me a tool snob? Go ahead. I wear that tag proudly. I've used low end and I've used high end. I may not be able to do better work with the high end, but I do easier work since I'm not fighting the tool, and if you don't understand what the simple pleasure of using a good tool adds to the project there's no explaining it to you. And probably no point in you buying the tools I buy.

Life is too short for third rate tools. Although in all fairness, I guess I should acknowledge that if I hadn't wallowed in so much Craftsman I may never have truly appreciated my Deltas, Makitas, Bosches, Porter-Cables, Milwaukees, Kleins, etc. when I got them. But if I could keep just one person from having to learn that lesson the way I did...

Reply to
LRod

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "ARHA" feature?

Reply to
Mark Cooper

Go ahead - dispute it. The real downside is that you'll have to shop at HF to do so. As for me, I'll pass.

Dave

TeamCasa

LOL That's what I call BAD luck... I only have 2 Craftsman tools left to get rid of.

Reply to
Leon

I don't recall the exact words but something like, Automatic bit adjustment while it is running, ready or not, feature.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:5EQXd.7670$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Automatic (or Autonomous) Router Height Adjustment

Not a good thing.

Reply to
Patriarch

My older Craftsman router did that to me ONCE. I didn't have the collet tight enough, and the bit started descending while I was routing the control cavity in a guitar body--the very first one I made, over two years ago. Cut right thru the body into the MDF benchtop underneath. I learned to make sure that collet was REALLY TIGHT, and it never happened again. I assumed it was my fault, and not the tool's. Seems like experience has confirmed that, since it has never happened again.

This router, BTW, while suitable for light -duty work, was not up to the heavy load I put on it, and that's why I bought the new one at Christmas (the Craftsman Pro/Bosch). It cuts deeper and smoother than the old one ever did, and it seems to do it effortlessly, with the same bits. 50% more power and a nice rigid aluminum motor housing make quite a difference in how a router behaves. Very happy with it so far.

Not sure what to do with the old one--any suggestions?

On the topic at hand (the quality or lack thereof of Craftsman power tools)--I'm not claiming that all Craftsman power tools are uniformly good--just that in general my experience with them has been positive. The ones I have work well for my needs, and I see no point in replacing them unless they break.

For example, in the case of the Radial Arm Saw--Sears offered to buy the motor from me for $100 (which was only $8 less than I paid for the whole thing in '73) and I declined. That saw has performed well for me for all these years, although I haven't used it much since I got the table saw last year.

--Steve

Patriarch wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Actually, it's Automatic Random Height Adjustment. Note the "random" part. Oh yeah, tm Steve Wallace, the guy who coined the initialization.

Unless you meant it to do that.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

Assign it to light duty. Put a round-over bit in it and leave it there. Keep it handy and just grab it when you need to ease an edge. Don't put any bit that pulls out, like a dovetail, in it.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Man, what an endorsement...I'm sure K-Mart management will be after you to head their new ad campaign! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yes. It's the "random" that's the killer.

Thanks. I wondered who did. Sadly, I instantly knew what it meant the first time I heard it.

Reply to
LRod

Yabbut, it's not "luck." That's the point.

Reply to
LRod

Through MY OWN experience, I have concluded that the quality of modern Craftsman tools is very inconsistent at best and I now avoid them. That's my choice. Having admitted that, I couldn't figure out why these unsolicited disparaging remarks and the "Crapsman" epithet always rub me the wrong way, until now.

It's rude. Simple as that.

Most of us on this forum are essentially strangers, even though we share a meaningful connection through this hobby/profession of ours. How many of us would walk into a stranger's shop and point to his equipment and say "That's a POS"? Most of us would never do such a thing.

There are a lot of folks on the wreck who for a variety of reasons own and use one or more Craftsman tools. One of these reasons may be that it's what they have and they don't have the free funds to replace it. I contend that gratuitous bashing of Craftsman (or any brand) amounts to pointing and laughing at people who we don't know well, and to whom we should extend a higher level of courtesy.

By describing the bashing as "gratuitous" I am distinguishing it from the honest, fact-based, and well intentioned sharing of opinions that also goes on here. Hey, some may want to call LROD a tool snob, but facts are facts. Like me and others, his opinion about Craftsman is based on personal experience.

Just my two cents... Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Well said~! Not everyone has a particular NEED for high $ production quality tools. Some are on limited budgets. Others may only need a particular tool very infrequently. So there's little need to bash someone else's choice when it differs from what they have. Unless they absolutely HAVE to do it as a compensatory mechanism for their lack of something....

100 years ago, when electric machinery wasn't all the rage people got by just fine....witness the woodworking that exists today that relied upon hand tools. And ANY of today's machinery tools are much improved. So the runout on your tool is .0002 less than mine ....BFD!

bill

Reply to
Bill Otten