Craftsman Table Saw ---- What's the yellow circle for?

LOL, that's the only way to make some Craftsman TS's worth using. I had an 83 Craftsman 1 hp belt drive TS. I replaced the wings, stand, and fence.

Reply to
Leon

Get A WWII already. ;~)

I use two different blades both are WWII 40 tooth 1/8" kerf. I had one of 4 ground to cut a flat bottom. NOW, I do also have a Forrest dado set.

For ripping, cross cutting, and compound cuts I only use the one WWII ATB 1/8" kerf blade. Why do I have more than one. I swap out when one gets sent to Forrest to be resharpened.

If I need to cut crap wood for a neighbor I pull out my Craftsman circular saw.

Reply to
Leon

BTY I never put a link belt on the TS, the belt was almost perfectly round and never took a set. BUT I did replace the belts in my DP with a link belt, the DP runs much smoother although noisier on higher speeds.

Reply to
Leon

at I have a 25 year

ripped out the right wing,

d a Woodworker II ... IOW

Did anyone make a fence that was worse than the stock fence on that entire line of Craftsman contractor saws?

You'd have to try really hard...actually do it on purpose. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

hat I have a 25 year

ripped out the right wing,

ed a Woodworker II ... IOW

I thought you used your green track saw for cutting everything. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, mostly for cutting sheet goods to large sizes of smaller.

Reply to
Leon

No manufacturer that I know of. I have seen a couple of home made ones on YouTube that were probably worse.

Reply to
Leon

Instead of regrinding one for a flat bottom, just buy a Forrest #1 grind blade. I also have a Forrest dado set. I also have a Freud set for MDF, and such.

There is nothing sweeter than a Freud Glue Line rip blade. It's well worth the blade change, even with Forrest blades.

I prefer to cut a straight line, even when helping a neighbor. ;-) I do have blades I used for MDF, OSB, and such.

Reply to
krw

Looks like we got some on-topic conversation happening. I'm not going to worry about a post's age if it keeps us talking.

Besides, with proper quoting what's 13 years?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I guess the depends on your definition of "on-topic".

The original topic of the thread is the Exacti-Cut disk. Nothing since the August 8th revival of the thread is even remotely related to that little yellow disk, not even the question that revived the thread.

Since then we've drifted from the "revival question" (flex shaft) to the modifications some of us have made to our Craftsman saws and then to what blades we use on table saws in general.

The only thing close to on-topic is that we're still (sort of) talking about table saws ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When you have 4 WWII ATB blades, it is less expensive the have the flat grind applied to one. In my case the one I bought in 1999.

I really am very happy with my glue ready rips, seldom have to really sand the edge except to rough, a touch, the surface for stains. The saw/saws I use probably helps a lot.

I don't even want questionable material scratching my TS surface. Neighbors will bring anything over that they find.

Reply to
Leon

But instead of buying another ATB, I bought the #1 grind. Now I sharpen the one that needs it.

The Freud blade is really nice, too, and designed specifically for the task.

I don't think I want "anything that they find" in my basement. Sounds like something for a seawall.

Reply to
krw

I guess you'se guys would have a hard time with what I reclaim/reuse... :)

100+ yr old 16-20 footers are far better material underneath the old paint and weather than anything cut now...of course, this is fascia material for the re-doing of the house not furniture, but still...when a 1x8 16-ft has nary a knot and 1/32" growth rings, it's pretty easy to run it thru the planer and skim of the top as opposed to purchasing "select" material at almost $50/piece and nothing over 14-ft available.

:)

I did use the old Model 13 Rockwell/Delta planer for the rough work rather than the PM 180 as it's quite a lot cheaper to replace the smaller than the larger if do get a chip...I got lucky though, gotten through almost all to be reused immediately and so far, haven't missed anything before going thru...

Reply to
dpb

:

ay that I have a 25 year

n, I ripped out the right wing,

talled a Woodworker II ... IOW

iron wing ...

I really, really hope you haven't jinxed yourself. :-0

Good luck with the rest of the boards.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, that would be good... :)

Indeed. I've got ~800 running feet of 3" bead board that was soffit that we replaced of which perhaps 2/3-rds is mostly reclaimable. Debated for long time about replacing or trying to redo in place and finally decided to put new material up as the time that would be required to strip and retouch joints in place just too much...plus, it's good to get the Dirty Thirties and Filthy Fifties accumulated dirt down as well...as much as 2-3" in places on top of soffit.

Got drywall hung in new entry last week, flooring (1-1/4" strip oak to match old house) after mud and tape and then can start the trim out.

Reply to
dpb

te:

upported by Sears

say that I have a 25 year

ain, I ripped out the right wing,

nstalled a Woodworker II ... IOW

st iron wing ...

Many years ago I helped demo a farmhouse kitchen. Late 1800's brick house, where the "woodshed" was right off the kitchen and inside the brick perimeter. The owner's were expanding the kitchen by incorporating the woodshed into the space.

When we pulled the old wainscoting off the walls we found that the stud bay s were almost half full with critter debris, droppings and the occasional carcass. 3' - 4' up the wall, every bay. What a mess to clean up, since it was all inside the house. Shovels, dust masks and lots of contractor bags.

Best part of the weekend:

The old fireplace was still in the wall between the kitchen and the woodshe d. A few guys went up on the roof and into the attic and tore the chimney down to the attic floor. Then they went into the woodshed and wrap chains around the fireplace supports, hooked them up to 2 tractors and pulled the base ou t, dropping the rest of the chimney into the kitchen/woodshed. Lot's of noise, but when the dust cleared we see the sky 2 stories above the kitchen.

My sons, 10 and 12 at the time, were there. Now in their 30's, it's somethi ng they still talk about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not found anything even approaching that...this is just good, clean topsoil blown in by the KS winds during the main dust bowl years of the

30's mostly altho there were some also some really bad days in the 50s drought years, too. With minor accumulations over the other 80-90 years as well, of course.

Dad stripped all the exterior walls to insulate when did the major remodel in the late 70s/early 80s so they're still pretty good shape where have needed to get in.

Discovered when we repaired the bad roofing job had done just before Dad passed and we came back (had put metal drip edge on wood-shingles with no overhang so it wicked back behind it and down the face of the fascia and into soffit) discovered he had not done anything at all in the attic...so we hauled out about 5" of dirt and insulated it then...all that had been there was that black-paper covered 1/2" rock wool...a little better than nothing, but not much.

What was the access to the cavities in that house? Doesn't seem like should been that open w/ brick unless was balloon framing? Or had the brick wall been added later on and just covered up existing old open woodshed maybe?

Reply to
dpb

rote:

ood ideas for

supported by Sears

rs. Never saw

ll say that I have a 25 year

again, I ripped out the right wing,

installed a Woodworker II ... IOW

cast iron wing ...

I don't know the history of the house. It was owned by a co-worker's grandparents and I made a few trips out there to help tear down an old out building that had become a danger, haul some wood from the "back forty" , etc. There was usually a family gathering after the work was done, so I knew most of my friend's family. When Grandma passed, his mom and dad moved in and renovated the place as their retirement home. When extra hands were needed, I lent them mine.

My guess is that the critters found their way into the woodshed, which was basically open to the outside even if it was walled in brick, then eventually under and up into the house.

I recall that the floor of the woodshed was well below the floor of the kitchen. You had to go up a few steps on the front and side of the house to get in, but you walked right into the woodshed from the ground. That's how the guys had access to the underside of the fireplace. I remember looking down on them from the kitchen door as they pounded away at some huge beams with sledgehammers.

This was at least 20 years ago, so I don't recall all of the details. I do recall that the coal fire furnace still used a screw feeder. At least I thi nk it still used it. I know for sure that it was still there because my buddy explained to me how it worked. I grew up in NYC, so all this farm stuff was still pretty new, and therefore very interesting, to me. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Topic in a newsgroup means, in this case, related to woodworking. The fact a subject evolves from table saws to rusty oak or band saw blades doesn't make it off topic. Talking about quilt competition, sewing and knitting or killing bees is likely not "on topic" in a woodworking newsgroup.

Reply to
Jack

Makes sense and about what I had kinda' surmised must've been the case. Stuff like that not at all uncommon in those days...

I never saw the original steam boiler in this house before the conversion to NG so not sure how it was fed while still on coal.

Dad, being the first of the children born on the farm (third overall) used to say he was "born in the coal room" because the house was as yet unfinished and they were living in the basement while remainder was being built at the time he was born. The room that was used ended up being the coal bin for a while after the house was done and the family moved upstairs...

But the first main pipeline was laid across the pasture just to the SE of the house within 10-15 years and grandpa got a tap as part of the right of way deal and converted well before I was born probably another

15-20 years anyways. Initially, all of those allowed cost-free gas for domestic use but that got broken by the successor company of the original almost 30 year ago now. Never could see how they could be allowed to do that, but the courts said it was legal through some loophole in how the contracts were written. I wasn't home at the time so don't know all the tricks they pulled nor how much was paid to whom.

At least so far, they haven't threatened to pull the connection itself.

Reply to
dpb