Cove Molding

Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4 inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

__ | * | *

Reply to
rich

Amana - and I'm sure others too - make 1" radius cove bits.

dadiOH

Can you start with wider stock, 3", make the cove with the tablesaw and then split it in half. Take a look at this article. May work for you.. Article has a rather elaborate guid fence tie down system. You just need to clamp it securely at each end..

Reply to
Jim Hall

Here's some more tips from Rockler.. Not pushing their jig. You can fashion one out of four pieces of wood bolted together at the corners. I'm sure they're handmade jigs galore out there on the internet.

Reply to
Jim Hall

Reply to
rich

Since he did this before, he probably know this, but for anyone else reading... ...keep in mind that cutting coves with a table saw won't give you a constant radius, but a ellipse.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Your question has already been addressed, but I found the following to be helpful when doing cove cuts on the table saw:

Swingman

I started with two fences but quickly found all you need is one on the far side of the blade. Those grippers are a good way to go, too.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just made a jig using the cove calculator, and initial pass on some scrap worked well. Clamping the jig to the fence is cool, and adjustable, but I now see that a board just clamped to the table would work well also.

Learned a new skill today. Thanks to all!

Reply to
rich

It's one of those things that gives you two immediate thoughts:

1) That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. B) Why haven't I been doing this for years?
Reply to
-MIKE-